I need some parenting advice. Grace will not eat vegetables. At all. Period. I know it's not unusual for a child to disdain the green stuff, but in Grace's case it's not just green -- it's orange, yellow, you name it. The ironic thing is that she was a dream baby when it came to food -- she ate every bit of jarred mush we put in front of her (except green beans, and I couldn't blame her -- it smelled horrible). But when she graduated into the big world of solids, veggies didn't make the cut. Occasionally she'll indulge me by eating one of those Gerber Graduates containers (sweet potatoes), as well as a veggie burger from time to time, but that's it. So ... my (temporary) solution is in the form of liquids: V-8 Fusion and this rather expensive juice from Bolthouse Farms called "Green Goodness," chocked full (supposedly) of "14 powerful nutrients" from sources such as wheat grass, spirulina, spinach, blue-green algae, apples, kiwis, mangos, bananas, and dragon fruit. Sheesh. But she loves it and won't hesitate to suck it down along with her chicken nuggets. But solid veggies ... fuhgeddaboudit!
Pathetic! So friends, any advice? I can't pull the line "No dessert if you don't eat your veggies," because, well, she doesn't eat dessert. That kind of reasoning isn't going to work yet at 21 months. I have to say we didn't really have this kind of trouble with Aidan, so this is new territory for me. Comment away if you have any tips!
Monday, April 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Hmm. That is a tough one. My kids love most veggies, including brussel sprouts (my personal fav right now). R has a little more trouble with them. She'd prefer to eat meat or noodles, so I tell her she can't eat more of her favorite (whatever that might be--maybe sweet potatoes in her case) until she takes 2-3 bites of veggies.
In the end, I try not to let them have power in the struggle. If they see that it bugs me, they'll keep fighting me on it.
My Doctor told me kids listen to their bodies, and when they need vitamins, they'll eat them. So, I wouldn't get too worked up about it. It could be a phase.
Our pediatrician said the same thing... at this age, kids will basically take in what they need, as long as you keep offering a healthy diet. They just might not do it on your timetable!! Our family solution is just to keep putting veggies on the plate and hope for the best. At 21 months, reason and bribery are probably not going to work, but this too shall pass, and eventually you'll have more leverage at the dinner table.
Well, how about a comment from the other end of the spectrum? I'm 68 years old, really quite healthy, and have NEVER liked veggies. I revolt against anything green. (But I cook a lot, and love to cook complete, veggie-laden meals; they are so attractive!)
I'l agree with the young ones: don't get excited about it, and don't let it become a point of fighting, as it was for me all my young years.
Bob
Post a Comment