Murphy must have been on vacation, for he showed up a bit late for the festivities. He must have gotten a little confused, since Grace's birthday party was on Saturday, not the actual day of her birth. No matter -- might as well make a grand entrance on The day.
Yesterday started out just fine, with Grace dressed in her favorite beautiful pink dress, all ready for church. She played with her little friends afterward; we came home for lunch. She was clearly very tired and went down for her nap with ease. Ah, My Friend Murphy ... the party isn't over.
Ah, but he never gave Grace a gift! No matter -- there's still time ...
I woke Grace up at 3:00 p.m. and immediately knew something was wrong. "Mommy," she moaned. "I don't feel good." And when I carried her out into the living room -- into the light -- I could get a better glimpse of Murphy's gift to Grace.
"Her favorite color is pink," I can hear him chuckle with glee. "Hmmm ... and Daddy is about to leave for another week. Aha! I've got it! How about ... PINK EYE!"
Yes, indeed ... her right eye was puffy, bloodshot, her long eyelashes crusted together. She said it felt like there was dirt in her eye. She was warm -- a low-grade fever, and she said she "had a headache in her hips." Not quite sure what that meant, especially since she pointed to her shin when she said it.
So much for packing our days with excitement and fun activity to whittle away the hours until Daddy's return. Today will (hopefully) be spent at the doctor's office, and from what I read it looks like "quarantine" will be the word of the week, not "zoo" or "swimming" or "fun with friends." Jack, too, needs to go to the vet again -- while improving a bit, he's still not right, but that's another story for another day.
Sigh ... One day at a time, one day at a time ...
In the meantime, here are a few promised pictures of a happier day, a more joyful time ...
Last year was Cinderella, now we have a (fairly psychotic-looking) Belle
Thanks to ever-thoughtful Grandma, who provided water blasters for each of the grandkids (well, at least the 5 that were present -- the remaining 5 live too far away), the kids had -- well, quite literally -- a blast
Big Brother always at the ready to help his little sister
(Note the pink slippers!)
(Note the pink slippers!)
Aidan's self-ordained task: to read all of the cards to Grace, while the cousins clustered around
A very wet, very tired little Birthday Girl
The absolute joy of my life

3 comments:
Happy Birthday Grace! What a cutie pie, even with pink eye.
Oh I hate pink eye. When the boys were little (2 and 3), Matthew got it. I started treating him for it and seeing Daddy was also out of town, I had to basically sit on him to get the drops in 3 times a day. As soon as it started to look clear, Ryan got it. Same thing, sat him him 3 times a day to put them in. Then, wouldn't you know it, Matthew got it AGAIN! Talk about sharing!
Hope she keeps it to herself and it disappears fast.
At least Murphy is one gift who doesn't need to be fed! :) Ah, we've been through so many rounds of pink eye....never fun. Hoping health insurance is back en force and ready for the family illnesses to set in once again! :)
Oh no! I hope she's feeling better really soon. Did you get to the doctor's today? - Michelle
Post a Comment