Thursday, May 5, 2011

A Day at the Races (You're Gonna Love This)

Disclaimer #1: most of the photos you are about to view are ... well, just pretty dang horrible. I don't know what happened to the camera, but nothing was working right. So ... deal with the blurry.

Disclaimer #2: There are some serious Mom-Bragging-Rights going on in this post, so be forewarned!

After many weeks, the kids' swimming lessons came to an end yesterday in grand fashion: the highly anticipated races. Each class participates in three races: the kickboard, freestyle, and the backstroke (or a modified version of each), down the length of the pool. I was so excited for this event, as I had missed last year's Big Day, and with camera in hand, I was all set to cheer my little swimmers on.

I kept my expectations fairly low. It's safer than way. Thinking logically, I knew that Aidan was bumped up into a "higher" level this year, and found himself with a group of boys who have been doing this for quite a bit longer than he has. He was no longer at the top of his class ... and if you know Aidan, that's not always a good (tear-less) place to be. Throughout the season, however, he never seemed to be bothered that the other boys were "better" so I was holding on to that hope of some wonderful, maturing growth in that area.

Then there's Grace ... I seem to preface quite a few of her recountings with that phrase. This is the little girl who, last year, screamed deafeningly for two weeks; the little girl who last year refused to get her head wet (once the screaming calmed down). This is the little girl who this year finally embraced the idea of swimming (thank goodness!) and eagerly got into the pool, yet still seemed loathe the idea of sticking her face in this water. And this is the same little girl who, about three weeks ago, finally -- finally! -- had it all click and fall together ... and she's been swimming. REALLY swimming.




The first race was set to go: the kickboard. Grace, up first, took the second lane, with her favorite coach, Brian, next to her for support. She positioned her arms on the board, eyes straight ahead, face (surprisingly) full of Olympian concentration. I couldn't believe that this was my same happy-to-lucky, carefree girl. She looked fiercely determined, and as the loud speaker blared the staring horn, off she went ... like a motorboat. I was stunned. Her eyes never wavered from the opposite wall 25 meters away, and she made a steady beeline straight head, leaving her classmates -- literally -- in her wake. She hit the wall; Brian cheered; my friend Mary and I went a little wild. Her classmates were still at the halfway mark. Brian lifted her out of the pool, grinning ear to ear, and she received her First Place ribbon. First Place. Grace. I never thought those two things would ever go together.

Ready to jump in, with no fear whatsoever.

Eyes forward, focused ...

... never once turning away.

Brian checking out the competition ... no threat whatsoever.

After waiting for a few more groups, it was Aidan's turn. Using the kickboard is not his strong suit, so I knew early on he wasn't going to finish anywhere near the top. I prayed that he would be OK with whatever place he received. To complicate matters, he is suffering terribly from allergies, and even came home sick on Monday. This boy was not at his best ... it showed. He too had Coach Brian by his side, and all of the cheering and prompting didn't seem to help. He was slow, looking around at his opponents, gliding as if in a daze. He came in 5th out of 6 spots, and thankfully he came out of the water all smiles, congratulating his sister on her first place success and saying, "I'll do better in the next race." That's my boy!



The second race was freestyle, something Grace only "caught on" to a few weeks ago. I frankly wasn't sure how she would do, and she certainly wasn't as strong as she had been just two days prior. But that same focus was there, that determination as she plowed ahead ... right into first place again!

Aidan did quite well too on the freestyle, his long thin arms powering him forward, gliding quite beautifully and methodically in the water. Fourth place. More smiles.

The final race was the backstroke. Grace hadn't practiced much of this, so thankfully the smaller kids were allowed to hang on to the kickboard, on their backs, and just kick their way down the lane. Again, I wasn't sure how she would do since they didn't focus on this too much in her class. This race was hilarious. The horn blared and off she went. I couldn't believe her speed. When she was about 5 feet from the wall, Brian looked behind ... and the rest of the pack were only about a quarter of the way down the pool. It was amazing. First place once again!

Notice that Grace has gotten out of the water, walked halfway around the pool to get to me, posed for the camera ... and there is still a classmate in the pool!

Aidan enjoys the backstroke, so I knew he would do quite well in this race. He displayed once again how graceful he is in the water. No wild splashing -- just smooth strokes, perfectly timed. It was an exciting race, as Aidan and another boy soon pulled away from the rest of the group, neck and neck down the lanes. First and second were up for grabs. Finally, at the last few feet, the other boy -- older and taller than Aidan -- inched forward and won by a hand's length. Aidan was overjoyed. He knew how close he was to winning and, thankfully (surprisingly!) that was enough for him. He proudly held up his second place ribbon.

What a day at the races ... I was thrilled, and the kids were absolutely bursting with pride at their efforts. Both now are eagerly looking forward to the extended class, another three weeks of lessons that I'm signing them up for today. They don't want to break their momentum, and neither do I.

This was a great, proud Mom-moment ... and a truly wonderful moment for my kids. I love this last photo, taken in the car as we pulled up in front of the house, which sums up the afternoon perfectly. What a triumph for both of them!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I DO love this! That last photo is great! Great job Aidan and Grace! Love ya, Aunt MIchelle

Jennifer said...

So awesome! Hooray for these Olympic-ready kids! The sleeping picture is my favorite--she poured it on, and then she turned it off. How awesome for both of them!