Saturday, March 1, 2008

Laugh Lines for the Week

Last night Aidan selected the above book for our before-bed reading. The story of David and Goliath has always been one of his favorites, I think -- unfortunately -- because of the cool little boy twirling a sling and fighting a massive foe. We are a very non-violent household, yet where do these attractions come from? I hear this all the time from other families -- no toy guns in the house, yet somehow kids fashion weapons out of innocent pretzel sticks. It's inherent, I believe. Nature so often wins out over nurture.

Anyway, back to the tale. Aidan selected this book, but as he sat on the couch with it on his lap, he had a puzzled look on his face. I saw his lips moving as he muttered the title over a few times. Take another look at the title font and you'll understand how he came up with this:

"Mommy, what is this book? David and the Glant?! What in the world is that?! What's a 'glant?'"

That cracked me up. "David and the Glant" has quite a ring to it ...

**********************************
I changed Grace's diaper the other day, and as I lifted her off of our bed I patted her diapered bottom before I set her down. As soon as her feet hit the floor, she whirled around and gave me one of her perfect actress faces -- one of indignation, complete with furrowed brow and pouty lips. She raised her hand and pointed her long finger at me, eyes glaring:

"You! Mommy! You don't hit my bup! You say sorry to Gracie!"

What a performance! In seconds we were both wracked with giggles. She knows she's good.

**********************************
Aidan had to go to the bathroom one afternoon -- #2 -- and, as usual, he makes quite a declaration of his intentions before he heads to the bathroom. I had been playing in the living room with the kids, so I after I wished him well, I resumed my play with Grace. Shortly thereafter, I heard raucous laughter coming from the kitchen -- his wonderful, bubbly giggles which means he's completely and breathlessly overcome by hilarity. But why? And more importantly ... the kitchen?

I went to see what was going on and there he stood, pants down, by the garbage can, laughing hard. What in the world was he doing?

Between giggly breaths he said to me, "Mommy! I had to go poopy, and I thought the garbage can was the toilet, so I sat on it. I don't know what I was thinking!!" And with that he collapsed to the floor laughing.

I don't know what he was thinking either -- clearly his mind was not on the task at hand! But to see him laugh like that, with such gusto and so full of (odd) happiness, was nothing short of pure joy.

No comments: