
It's official: Thanksgiving's over and the lights are on!
Need some more justification, you say, for this pre-December activity? Oh, I got that a-plenty ... Weather, my friends! Put twinkly lights up when the forecast is comfortable! So that is why our house is festive before the calendar flipped to its final month.
Yes, it was comfortably seasonal as I began the task of bedecking the halls yesterday morning -- just a sweatshirt sufficed and my fingers retained their feeling through the entire endeavor. In a flash, my fall stuff came down and was laid to rest in its plastic bin in the basement. In its stead came the garland and lights, snowmen and bows ... The kids had a ball helping me uncover the wintry goods and, as always, their cheer is contagious.
Today we finished the task, as my dad lent his helping hands, as well as his own greenery. He provides the wreath, the candles, and a multitude of extension cords. It really does look pretty -- just enough to catch your eye, but nowhere near being gaudy.
We treat our front porch kind of like an extension of our apartment. Remember, our last house was huge and beautifully Victorian, a 3-story gigantic structure which I decorated to the hilt. Now try to fit all of those decorations into my snug 2-bedroom apartment ... yes, I need that front porch. It's a cute little off-shoot, and it's become the kids' Christmasy area, complete with their own little tree (pictured below). When Aidan had reached the walking-grabbing-destroying-eating phase,we decided to forgo the full-sized real deal for a year or two, settling instead for a 3-foot imposter which we've kept ever since. This has become known as "Aidan's Tree" and it's his to decorate. Now it makes a wonderful addition to the front porch, for all the neighborhood to see.
Oh, and something else occurred today to make my spirits happy and bright. A few days ago we made a rare family trip to our local (and really quite incredible) thrift store, where I purchased two J.Crew sweaters for $4 ... and where Capitalist Don spied a deal. A Beatles box set was selling for an apparently low, low price and he wanted to get it to re-sell. Ummm ... sorry, dear. It smacks of gambling and I am just too thrifty for that. But it will sell! he insisted. Yes, but what if it doesn't? I countered. Sorry ...
He's like the proverbial dog with his meaty bone ... He countered my counter: what if I use my paypal account? he asked. I know it will double, and we'll use the profit for our family ... Oh -- well, in that case, there's no loss to me so ... go for it.
He did. Within one hour today he made over 100%. Cool!
Yes, it's official ... the season is here. While I write, a string of white lights drape across our front window in a simple fashion, Aidan's Tree twinkles through the window, decorations are strewn about the apartment, the kids are watching Charlie Brown's Christmas ... what is about this time of year that makes one feel so warm inside?
It's a beautiful feeling.
'Tis the season.

1 comment:
Your place looks great - love the Victorian tree! and I don't blame you one bit for doing it early... we spent all day yesterday putting up our tree and all the "activities," as Caleb likes to call them.
Post a Comment