Monday, December 17, 2007

Favoring the Unusual

I love Christmas music, probably more than any other genre (and that's saying something). I've blogged about this before, but today I was struck with the recognition of which songs I really love, jumping out amongst all the other offerings on CD, vinyl, or now -- thanks to Don's maneuvering -- internet radio, where Christmas music of every imaginable sound and style can be heard non-stop. That is both good and bad.

Late this afternoon, as I settled the kids in front of Frosty the Snowman, I holed myself up in the kitchen, ready to prepare our famous and fantastic Mafia sauce. I turned on the CD player and momentarily considered which CD to play. I settled on one of my very first Christmas CD's, the one that started my collection, purchased many years ago during our seminary days in Virginia. I purchased it in a bookstore located in a nearby mall, and it's entitled "Christmas Chorus," boasting over 100 hours of festive music. It's classic, it's choral, it's got every carol imaginable. It's Christmas Personified on one convenient disc. I love it.

As I began to sauté the garlic in olive oil, the first few carols filled my kitchen. This is when the thought struck me, as the garlic sizzled away -- that my favorite Christmas carols are the ones that are normally overlook. Sure, I love the tried-and-true standards: "Joy to the World," "Silent Night, and "Hark the Herald Angels Sing."

But how about these?

"Bring a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella." Ever heard of it? This is one of my favorites. I'm not sure why. I don't even know all the words. I just went on Wikipedia to do a little exploring about the history of this song. Here's what it said:

The carol was first published in 1553 in France, and was subsequently translated into English in the 18th century. The song was originally not a song to be sung at Christmas, but rather dance music for French nobility.

The carol tells the story of two milkmaids, Jeanette and Isabella, who went to milk their cows in a manger in Bethlehem, only to find the babyJesus sleeping in the hay. The two girls ran to town to tell the village of the coming of Christ, and the townspeople came with their own torches to view the sight for themselves. However, they had to keep their voices down so little Jesus could enjoy his dreams. To this day in the Provence region, children dress up as shepherds and milkmaids, carrying torches and candles to Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve, while singing the carol.

Here are some other favorites:
"I Saw Three Ships." What the heck? Makes no sense, really, but I like it.
"Good King Wenceslas." Somehow I always envision a Henry VIII figure (a nice, friendly one) when I hear this with a hearty mug o' ale.
"God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen." Very Charles Dickens, with lovely fur-muffed Victorian carolers.
And don't forget good old "Greensleeves."

It figures my favorites would be a bit off the beaten path. That's OK -- I'll be belting out "Angels We Have Heard on High" with the best of them. But it's nice to throw in these, too, for some good cheer.

No comments: