My birthday is coming up very soon, and the older I get unfortunately the less I look forward to these events. I'm not old; I just lack the enthusiasm and giddy anticipation I once had. All a part of life, I suppose.I borrowed this "Friday Five" from a friend's blog, when she filled it out for her own day o' birth. Even though it's a week early, I thought it would be fun to think about too. I'm too tired to dive into anything too cerebral or profound or journey-themed this morning. This will be light and fun. Here we go ...
1. When is your birthday? Does anyone else (famous and/or in your own life) share it?
Interestingly, I know of three others who share the day with me -- an old neighbor-lady named Dot, with whose granddaughter I used to play as a child; Don's sister Kim; and the most recent and surprising discovery, my friend Jacie (not only same day, but same year, same hospital ...). As far as "famous" birth-buddies, I checked this out online out of curiosity and found a few familiar names: Jean Harlow, Alexander Graham Bell, Perry Ellis, and King John II of Portugal (1455). OK, that last one is just funny.
2. Do you prefer a big party or an intimate celebration for the chosen few?
A big party.
OK, that would be ... NO. Just kidding. "Intimate celebrations" are more my speed.
3. Describe your most memorable birthday(s)--good, bad, or both.
Oddly enough, when I first read this, three birthdays simultaneously popped into mind, but they're all "bad" memories. I hope that doesn't mean I'm some sort of crotchety pessimist ... but hey, I can't help unbidden thoughts. Maybe I just need a bit more perky coffee.
Memory #1: Early March is a bizarre time of year, with the whole "lion and lamb" theme going on. You just never know what to expect weather-wise. I recall one of my very earliest birthday parties, so eagerly and excited planned, was wiped out because of a blizzard. My disappointment at that tender age was like death. I can still feel that wrenching break in my tiny sad soul.
Memory #2: Shortly after my snowed-out birthday, another disappointment of astronomical proportions came on its heels. It was 1981 and I was about to turn 9. A few weeks prior to the day I was about to explode with elation as my mom and my grandmother, the dearest person in my little life who lived downstairs from us, took me to a local toy store to purchase my first pair of "sneaker skates" (remember those?). I couldn't handle my excitement -- I can still feel it. The roller skates of bright blue with yellow detailing were the gift from my grandma, and I couldn't wait until the party, to sit on my grandma's lap and officially open this grand gift. The following week -- six days before my birthday -- my grandma died. I will never, ever forget that day.
Memory #3: I was living in PA. I was turning 30. I had miscarried a few months earlier. I was unexpectedly pregnant again. I was an emotional mess. Don arranged a pseudo-surprise party for me, inviting my entire family to our house for the day. I was so happy ... until my mom got sick and couldn't come. I cried on the phone to her for a long, long time that morning.
Sheesh ... how morbid! There's gotta be a good memory somewhere. Yes -- there is. My "Sweet 16" birthday, where my parents invited a few of my closest friends over for a surprise party. Low-key, relaxed, a complete surprise. I loved it.
4. What is your favorite cake and ice cream? (Bonus points if you share the cake recipe). Or would you rather have a different treat altogether?
Ah, no hesitation here: a Carvel ice cream cake, preferably with an extra thick layer of those little chocolate crunchy things in the middle. Mmmmmmm.....
5. Surprise parties: love 'em or hate 'em?
Actually, I do love them, which might seem surprising for a person of my introverted, reserved bent. But I do, and I've only had two in my life: my 16th birthday and my bridal shower. I was thrilled both times. What it shows me is that these people must really, really love me to make this kind of effort. It's a wonderful feeling.
Bonus: Describe your ideal birthday--the sky's the limit.
This is actually harder than I thought! I'm not sure where to begin. Let's see ... I would love a day to myself, a day of pampering -- a spa, money to shop, time away from "Mommy! Mommy" to recharge and be me for a while ... that's a start. Time away with Don would be a great gift -- a few days in a warm place with warm sand and a warm ocean ... nice. Tucked away in there would be great restaurants, an orchestral concert, and perhaps some diamonds (I might be fairly "earthy" but I do like some flash!). And, I think, a day at the zoo, or a good hike, with the kids, to see their beautiful faces and realize once again what a tremendous gift they are to me.
None of this will happen -- at least not this year. I'm happy with our plans in the making: a shared celebration with Jacie and her family on Saturday, involving a homemade pizza taste-test, lots of laughter, kids entertaining themselves, grown-up fun. I said to Don that I don't want or need much as far as "gifts" are concerned. We can't afford much, for one thing, and that's OK. But what I would love more than anything, as a gift from him, is a good old-fashioned date of dinner and a movie, pre-kid style. The last movie I saw in the theater was "The Passion of the Christ," (ironically on another birthday) -- it's been too, too long since we've done this kind of thing, and it would make a perfect gift.
Happy birthday to me (and Jacie and Kim and Alexander Graham Bell and) ... soon!

1 comment:
Happy birthday to you, dear friend! No worries about the bleak birthdays coming to mind. We all have these, and perhaps it is a little prompt to ensure that YOU make time to celebrate YOU this year, as the world doesn't always cooperate. Happy celebrating--it sounds like you have great fun planned! We all love you!
Post a Comment