Monday, May 19, 2008

First Fruits


Here's a picture of our first garden pickings, which we had for dinner last night. They were D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!! I was so happy that despite Grace's play date with the dirt, right after the seeds were planted, the lettuce was resilient. It just wants to be eaten.

So yesterday Don went out to the lettuce patch and brought in a colander-full of beautiful greens, enough for both of us. I piled mine into a bowl, topped with dried cranberries and goat cheese, and drizzled a little herb-infused olive oil over the concoction ... It was fabulous. It's been a couple of years since we've grown lettuce, and the taste was lovely -- earthy, rather strong, and very tasty.

There's plenty more where this came from. You just can't beat eating your own produce -- it's fantastic.

Come, Ye Thankful People Come ... it's time for dinner!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

For some reason I couldn't access the picture....and I want to see so I can get inspiration! We haven't gotten anything in the ground yet--this weekend, at long last! Enjoy!

Jennifer said...

There they are--YUM! Make a salad for me, please. Thank you for reposting the picture. I needed a reminder of simple pleasures this morning!