Thursday, May 8, 2008

Go, Speed Racer (or maybe just put on the brakes a bit)


We are finding ourselves at a very interesting point in our parenting adventure, with our kids growing up and leaving behind the phase of complete dependency. Our kids -- and Aidan in particular -- are daily developing their little personalities, their likes and dislikes, their desires and distastes. In toddlerhood, it's not so bad -- "I want this!" or "I want that!" can fairly easily be taken care of, as far as parenting goes. You want juice? OK, here's your cup. You want a cookie before dinner? Nope, sorry, you can cry fake tears all you want but I won't give in to that one.

Things are starting to change now in our household, now that Aidan is approaching the age of 6. His maturity is growing and expanding, he's learning new things, he's trying new things. He exerts his independence on a daily basis, sometimes to my joy at his blossoming -- like when he beautifully handled a situation at school with another student, all on his own -- and other times to my utter exasperation at his whiny childishness and blatant, jaw-dropping disobedience. None of this is a surprise, of course -- it's all part of the parenting game. But what's changing are the subtleties to it all, that begin to make our parenting decisions a little trickier.

Aidan loves Hot Wheels and race cars of all sorts, so you can imagine his exhilaration when he saw the first commercial for the new Speed Racer movie hitting our theaters within the next day or so. For the past several weeks he would screech with delight as the bright colors and loud zooms would appear on our TV screen -- "Oh, man, look! Look at that! It's Speed Racer! Cool!" It's fun seeing your child so excited, it really is. And perhaps it's due to being raised with three brothers, but I actually really like cars, having had my own collection of Matchboxes and daily play dates with our city made of blocks and boards where our cars could maneuver. It's fun for me to share this with my boy, because I get it. Speed Racer does look pretty cool, and after having watched the old cartoons in my childhood I wouldn't mind seeing it myself.

But here's where I feel my foot starting to push down on the parenting brakes. Aidan informed me that Speed Racer will be hitting the theaters on May 9. "That's tomorrow, Mommy! Talk to Daddy and find a time when we can go see it."

Whoa, whoa, whoa ... what's this? It's one thing to watch a commercial on TV, or play with a Hot Wheels version of the super-cool car, or play a Speed Racer game on the computer. But what about actually taking our boy to see the movie itself?

He has seen a few movies in the theater before -- The Incredibles, Ice Age, Cars and Ratatouille. Those are all cartoons, and even though they were rated PG we still felt comfortable taking our young son to see them. Well, I say "we" but it was really a Daddy-Son event, with my two boys enjoying their special outing together.

So why am I surprised that Aidan is asking (no, try begging and pleading) to see Speed Racer? No, I'm not surprised ... but I am wondering about my hesitation this time around, and what to do about it. Is it because it's not quite a cartoon, with real actors involved? No, that shouldn't be such a problem -- he likes the movie Babe, which has no cartoon elements at all but real actors and animals. Is it because there's kissing? Well, no -- he doesn't care so much about that. I believe there's a villain in the movie -- perhaps I'm afraid it might be a bit too violent? Is there a difference, though, between violence between real humans and a slug-fest between Mr. Incredible and Syndrome? Is there a bit of a trust issue here? I know what to expect, somewhat, with Pixar movies and I'm OK with them. I trust them, in a sense, and admittedly I enjoy watching them myself. So what's holding me back from giving my blessing to another Daddy-Son movie event? What is making me feel that Speed Racer falls into another category?

I'm not sure. Perhaps I want someone else with kids to see it first, and then report back to me. Then I can at least make an informed decision, what's "safe" for my boy and what's not. But ultimately that's my decision, isn't it -- I should know what's "right" for him without external input. This morning Aidan asked once again if he could see the movie, and tried to explain my hesitation to him. His response was cute: "Don't worry, Mommy. I'll be brave!"

Cuteness aside, it's more than bravery on his part. It's about responsible parenting on mine. Every parent wants their child to be happy, but kids don't make the decisions. They can have their say, of course, but ultimately the verdict is mine. And this one a little tricky for me. This is new territory for me -- an unknown path that we'll be exploring in many ways, shapes, and forms from now on.

So, parents, would you let your almost-six-year-old child see Speed Racer? Why, or why not?

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ooooo...I don't know about SpeedRacer, but Matt did make the choice last weekend to stop The Incredibles and declare it still beyond our kids. They were both devastated, threw HUGE tantrums, but he/we stuck by our choice. As my sister was commenting that she believed it was a bit old for them (I haven't seen any of it.), I called out to Matt, "You may need to decide to be the parent on this one, Matt." And sure enough, in a few minutes, it was off. These are hard choices. Ultimately our children will thank us for them!

Sue said...

Yeah, we had a bit of an issue with The Incredibles too at first, until Aidan rather unwittingly solved the situation for us by telling us he wasn't ready for it. :) That was cute -- and a relief! Grace is the same way -- she won't stay in the room if Aidan is watching it.

Tough for your kids! Had they already seen it, though? That would be a hard call, to have already seen the movie but then to take it away after they know what it's like. At least with Speed Racer Aidan has an idea what it's about, but (obviously) not all the details. I think he reminded me about 10 times today that it's coming out tomorrow ...

Thank goodness we have a full weekend chocked full of plans. :)

Amy said...

I declared at some point that there is an age that I will allow my kids to see pg movies. Period.
That age was 7 for W, because that is the age I think he can handle things that are a little beyond the cartoon scary.
So for his 7th birthday, he watched Star Wars (IV, V, and VI).
And I fretted all the way. But, like Aiden, W will say if something is too much for him. So, we listen closely, and watch all the movies with him. And, being the social worker that I am, I talk "controversial things" to death with him.