Thursday, May 22, 2008

Of High Notes and Low

(High/Low Notes - Sylvia Tait)

What a strange week it's been.

Low Note: I started off the sh'bang with a cold. Lovely. That quickly turned into something else, after spending several hours in the freezing cold rain, on a farm, while accompanying Aidan on his class field trip on Tuesday. The guide warned us that it's a farm, and they could care less about a little rain. As much as I like the great outdoors, and do enjoy time spent on farms, standing in the finger-numbing cold, pelted by melted drops of ice, is not my idea of a pleasant morning. By the time I got home my fingers were immovable, my body was stiff, and a fever started to spike. I couldn't get warm, no matter how many blankets I piled on. Thankfully it has been officially downgraded to a regular cold now, complete with scratchy throat and some kind of nasal goings-on. Lovely.

High Note: After a brief stint of wondering what's going on with the cancer front, due to several weeks of my mom's struggle with double-vision, the report is in: no cancer! However ... yes, a "however" ... it looks like she's now dealing with a flare-up of Graves' Disease, with which she was diagnosed years ago and looks as if it was jolted back into activity by the cancer fights. Not sure where this road will go, but with the "C" word out of the picture, we're singing a few high notes of thanksgiving.

High Note: David Cook won American Idol last night ... if anyone cares. I do. It was a great show and he was my pick. Not that I picked up the phone, but if I did he'd get my vote. It was a strange season in some respects, but one of the best overall, with a really great group of contestants. I just hope winning the title doesn't do a bit of disservice to the raspy-voiced rocker. Sometimes when you have to answer to the Big Guns you lose a little bit of yourself. Hope he stays on his high note.

Low, Low Note: Guess what I'm doing today? Calling our insurance company and various auto body shops. And why? Because someone side-swiped our car yesterday as it was innocently parked in front of our house. And of course the culprit didn't stick around to help remedy the situation. From the front bumper to the wheel well, there's an wide, ugly streak of white. Unbelievable. Unbelievable.

No comments: