Saturday, July 26, 2008

Laugh Lines for the Week


Despite all of the heavy stuff going on in our lives lately, we sure do laugh a lot ...

- My mom is a born Sunday School teacher. She sees every situation, every moment as a lesson about God. Recently she asked Grace, "Look out the window. Do you know who made the beautiful clouds?"

"Yeah," she said with a sigh, as if somewhat bored by this line of questioning, since she so clearly knew the answer:

"Aidan."

*********************************



Yesterday was a big, busy day for Aidan. We spent part of the morning with my friend Jacie and her kids, riding bikes (the kids, while we tried to cheer them on) and playing on a local playground. Aidan stayed there for lunch, while Grace and I went back home, and in the afternoon Aidan spent more time with them swimming in their neighbor's pool. He came home closet to 5:00 p.m. -- a long, fun day, but an exhausting one.

He could hardly keep his eyes open; he felt "floppy" and occasionally cried little whimpers of exhaustion. I knew part of his problem was the fact that he was beyond starving, and as as soon as he ate some dinner he'd get his energy back. I tried to explain this to him but he was too tired to hear it. I tried another tactic.

"Aidan, your body is like a car," I said. "Right now your gas tank is empty, so it needs some gas -- or food -- so you can start driving around again." He got that, but still whimpered all throughout dinner. He ate his chicken and broccoli veeerrrrryyyy slowly, but he ate nonetheless. Then, about 3/4 of the way through his plate, he put his fork down.

"Mommy," he said groggily, eyes half opened. "I'm all full of gas now."

No comments: