As my kids were getting out of the tub from their Saturday evening bath, the phone rang. "Look outside!" exclaimed my mom. "There's a double rainbow!"
A double rainbow?! We threw some pj's on Grace, while Aidan just carried his clothes in a state of au natural, and we went onto the front porch. And there, set against an odd gray sky, was the most amazing rainbow I have ever seen. Not only was it indeed a double rainbow -- one faint arc set above a most brilliant arc of color I had never seen before in my life -- but it also stretched from one point of the horizon all the way to the other. A full, double rainbow so incredibly brilliant that it looked like God had a great time with His Heavenly Crayolas. It was truly, indescribably, amazingly beautiful.
Don snapped a few pictures, but of course a dinky digital camera would never, ever do justice to the sight before us. Yet here's a mediocre representation of what we saw. Don suggested I try piecing them together in Photoshop to get an idea of its hugeness, so I tried ... it's a bit dorky but you get the idea. It was stunning.
You can see the faint double arc on top
Suddenly Grace broke into that (annoying) children's song, "Arky Arky" ... how perceptive of her! She even made up her own lyrics about the rainbow before us. Indeedm Noah's ark Revisited. Is this what Noah saw? What a sight, and what a revelation. No wonder he said it was a sign from God, a promise from the heavens. God reveals Himself in ways far, far beyond our understanding ... and as we stood there, we felt small.It was awesome.

2 comments:
Notice that the right side of the bow ends in the literal pot of gold called Wall Street. :)
Oh, how stunning! I actually love the Photoshop pieced together image. I love seeing it from end to end. We had this experience once. It was last fall (I believe), right before my sister's treatment. We were eating at a Wendy's halfway between her house and ours, and suddenly we looked out to see the same stunning image of a full, end to end double rainbow. I had never seen anything like it. The whole restaurant gathered either outside or at the windows to ooo and aaah. It's breathtaking--and I agree--an image of this power makes Noah's experience all the more vivid and real. (And I love this because my associate pastor was ordained yesterday--and her claimed symbol is the rainbow. It's truly wonderful, and I can't wait to share with her your blog!)
Post a Comment