A few weeks ago, someone hit our car and, of course, didn't stick around to take responsibility. I filed a claim with our insurance company but then dropped it after finding out the damage, while appearing quite white and hideous, was really only cosmetic. Did I really want to spend $750 to get rid of a few superficial scratches? Ah, no. So those white scrapes joined the ranks of the few other dings and scratches on various other parts of our car.
Early this morning I was sleeping very soundly, when suddenly the doorbell rang and Jack, who was snoozing by me, started barking. It scared me half to death. It was one of those moments where you try to hang on to that delicious sleep, but now your heart is racing and you're quite confused at the events suddenly going on around you. I struggled to a sitting position while Jack, still frantically barking, wriggled out from under the sheet. I looked at the clock. 6:45 a.m.!!! What the heck ... ?!
Then my foggy brain kicked in. Kids sleeping ... dog howling ... must stop the noise ... must keep those kids asleep ... Ha. Too late. The kids were already up and playing (indicative of what my day is going to be like, with another too-early start). "There's a lady at the door," Aidan informed me. A lady ... ?
A few minutes later Don came back inside, shaking his head but smiling. "You'll never believe this ..." he said.
That "lady" was our brand new neighbor, a woman who had moved in next door over the weekend with her three kids. (Yes, my friends, the infamous Chatty Cathy is GONE!). From the few chats-in-passing we've had with her, she seems very nice. She had gotten into her car this morning to go to work. She backed out of the driveway.
She hit our car.
I would probably say, by this time, I believe we must be cursed. Someone, somewhere has a tiny replica of a Ford Freestyle and is sticking pins in it. But this morning's events were actually quite welcomed, because she hit the car in the very same spot as the hit-and-run driver a few weeks ago!
The damage this time around is much greater, however. The corner of the front bumper popped off, and the entire front part of the bumper is smooshed in. But still ... it's the same spot! And she took responsibility for it (or at least she will later, when she gets home from work. We know where she lives). So that means our patient accepting of those events from the other week will be redeemed! And we won't have to pay a dime! We'll be without a car for a little while, of course, and I feel a bit sheepish having to call our insurance company again, but at least this time I have better news.
Wow. What a way to start your day, huh?
Definitely time for more coffee.
Thursday, June 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Very cool!! Reminds me of when we voluntarily had our 40+ year-old oil tank dug up as a precaution, and were going to have to shell out a couple thousand dollars; turns out there were 3 very small holes in the bottom (the size of a large nail puncture); the surrounding dirt was hard-packed clay, so no major leakage problem, but insurance paid for everything!! Sometimes things just work out...and I think God smiles.
Post a Comment