OK, so how weird is this ... We are traveling to Philadelphia on Sunday for Grace's annual appointment with her clubfoot doctor, scheduled for Monday afternoon. We haven't seen him since last June, when he said she's doing beautifully, wear those danged shoes, and stretch stretch stretch that little foot. Gotcha.
It's strange to think that a whole year has gone by, and now it's time for the verdict. And boy, did we come up short. Grace's treatment, since birth, involves what's called the Ponseti Method, at least for the most part. If I'm not mistaken (from what little I know of all of this), a true Ponseti follower seeks to avoid surgery, going by the route of serial casting and orthotic shoes. While our particular doctor, who works out of the Children's Hospital of Pennsylvania, studied at the knee of Ponseti himself and works with the method, he does involve surgery as well. So our little Grace had the surgery, clipping her little heel's tendon, at the age of 3 months. It was one of the worst experiences of my life to date, but Grace sailed through. Since then we've dealt with her sweet little leg in a cast for months on end, followed by the dreaded shoes. We've struggled with that blasted footwear. And in the course of this past year since her last visit, the shoes continued to be a terrible ordeal. She'd wear them for a bit, then develop horrific blisters, so the shoes stayed off so the toes could heal. Shoes back on, same festering blisters, shoes off. Off-on, off-on, week after week, month after month. Finally, a couple of months ago, she officially outgrew the shoes, and we were faced with choice: buy yet another new pair (straight out of our near-empty pockets, with no insurance coverage for such "optional" items) for the last couple of months before the appointment, or just wait and see what the doctor says. We opted for the latter, to forgo the shoes until we meet with the doc, but try to stay diligent with the stretching. Yeah ... that wasn't as easy as it sounds. I tried, usually during diaper changes while she was laying on the bed anyway, but it didn't last very long. The balm to all of this was a comment made to me by the guy who sold us the shoes last year. He was floored to see my prescription for the clunky contraption, saying in his 30 years of business, he hasn't seen these in nearly 15 years. What?! What do clubfoot patients do around here, I asked? He wasn't sure, but he said that docs here in northern NJ don't use them anymore. Just surgery and stretching, I guess. I was surprised but secretly glad, feeling a bit of that Mama-Guilt starting to slip away. I hoped for the best.
This has been a stomach churning week for me, for two reasons. First, I've gone into trigger-alert mode ... for traveling back to PA means traveling back in time, to the place of our nightmare. I felt this way last year too and wrote about it, finding that I'm feeling pretty much the same way but thankfully feeling blessed that the emotions are not quite as strong as they were last year. Healing is definitely occurring, thank God for that. Yet it's still going to be hard this time around, no doubt about it -- seeing the same roads, the same sights, the same stores, the same everything that we lived. Thankfully we won't have to see the church -- that would be torture, driving by that structure and recalling everything that happened within. I wish there was some kind of pill I could take, to simply wipe all of those memories out of my brain. I don't want to think about those people, those events, those shattered dreams. But our medical trip back to PA will indeed put it right back into my face, with no dulling pills to swallow. It's so hard to let it all go, to put it all behind.
On top of that emotional ride, I'm also starting to get nervous about Grace's foot and what the doctor might say. Now back to the weirdness of this tale. As the nerves are starting to brew, I get two hits on my blog from other moms of clubfoot kids -- two! What are the chances of that? Right during this same time where I can't get "clubfoot" out of my mind? Both moms were great, kind, empathetic, and supportive -- cool. I don't know anyone going through this so it was neat to feel connected in some way. And yet ... I then crossed an imaginary line into discovering too much information. There were links to other websites, to learn more about clubfoot and what's involved, what's to be expected, and so on. Unfortunately ... I kind of freaked.
One extremely informative site called Six Feet was unbelievably detailed, put together by a mom who needed a site years ago and never had one. Cool, I thought. Very helpful. But as I read, the Mama-Guilt kicked into full gear, especially when talking about the shoes, and statistics, and how crucial-vital-imperative it is that your child wear those shoes, no ifs-ands-or-buts. Many parents think they can relax when the child is "out of the woods" at age two or three, believing the foot looks OK so all is well, where as the statistics shake you up, with super high percentage rates of relapse during this oh-so-seemingly-comfortable phase ... yikes. I had been very upbeat and positive going into this home stretch before the appointment; now I'm scared silly. I look at her little foot constantly. Is it curved more than usual? Is it dropping when she walks? Does it feel tighter than usual? Is she doing this, or that ... ugh. Drives you crazy.
Is it horrible to say that I kind of like being a little ignorant? The more information I get under my belt, the worse I feel. Some folks feel encouraged by gathering facts and information, and that's great; apparently it doesn't work so well for me. I have no idea what to expect on Monday -- will she need a cast? More surgery? Or nothing at all? Prayers are appreciated, my friends -- for the emotional baggage opening up on this trip as well as the medical needs. Yes, it's been a doozy of a week, slugging down this heavy cocktail. But we'll get through it ... we always do. That's what grace -- and Grace -- is all about.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Sue, I read your blog about Grace, and I want to tell you that you are filled with Grace...When Phyllis died, someone sent me a brief note "God gives us burdens, but also shoulders" your journey is filled with GRACE I can see in every word you write, and the love that fills your hearts and home...Henri Nouwen who I talked with at length wrote a book THE WOUNDED HEALER..I have read it and reread it whenever I feel overwhelmed...God loves you and so do I...as Jennifer named me years ago "The Dancing Disciple"
I'm glad you found Shawnee's site - she's done an excellent job helping so many of us get through this experience and out the other side with beautiful little straight feet. Don't feel guilty about what has gone in the past. Just look forward and do the best that you can. I'm looking forward to hearing good news from you about Grace. Just remember the Lord said "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you, not as the world gives. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." I'll be praying.
Hi, Sue,
My daughter is 8 and has a unilateral, (left) clubfoot.
Please don't feel guilty! You are more than welcome to come join our parents' support group on yahoo groups, it's called nosurgery4clubfoot (don't let the name scare you off- most kids have had the tenotomy and some have had more extensive procedures also).
There is an excellent doctor who just relocated from NYC to the Shriners in Philly- his name is Harold Van Bosse. I met him last fall in Iowa at the clubfoot symposium and he is wonderful, many of the families of his patients from NYC are planning on traveling to Philly to follow him there. I would like to encourage you to take Grace to go see him. It will give you peace of mind to get a second opinion from a reputable clubfoot doctor. CHOP is not known for excelling at the Ponseti method, even though many doctors there 'claim' to be. There are lots of families on the aforementioned support board who have shared about their less than stellar experiences there.
I hope to see you on that board soon! Just send in the survey so you can get approved (membership is moderated). There's also a great bracing document that might be helpful to you at http://ponseti.info/parents
Take care!
Jenny (mom of 3)
Thanks so much for the encouragement, Jenny! When I get some "down time" today (hard to do with kids underfoot!) I want to check out the site. I would love to hear more about how an older child, such as your own, has fared through the earlier years of treatment, and where she is now at an older age. Thanks again for checking in! Can't wait to hear more about your group.
Hi Sue, Our stories sound very similar. Everything you are feeling I have felt. I have a son who was treated at CHOP and I would love to talk to you about it. My son was a patient there up until he was 4...entirely to long but I didn't know better...he is now 5. This post has struck a cord with me as I have felt those painful past memories as you. I am one of the moms who has been dubbed into thinking my son was getting the correct treatment at CHOP and when I was able to finally find the information I needed I then realized that I wasn't doing the right thing for my son by staying at CHOP and that I needed to get other opinions. My son struggled with relapse after relapse over the years. And this should not have happened if his doc was doing the Ponseti method correctly...I believe we saw the same doc and he didn't study under Ponseti's knee. This could get long so I will spare you and your readers. So if your interested in talking or just emailing that would be great. Does Grace's upper foot curve...kinda like a banana shape or c shape? I could show you pics of my sons feet while being treated by the CHOP doc. Your story sounds so much like ours and I would love for us to chat. Please don't feel guilty of what has happened in the past...I know it's hard as I did the same thing...but you now need to look into the future.
Take care and I'm just trying to help you and Grace.
Jenn
Sue,
I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about my daughter! I can send you pics too if you want. She's doing great- just finished up her softball season! =)
We started off with 2 different doctors and were eventually facing reconstructive surgery on her foot before I started really researching (this was back in 2000- there wasn't much out there back then) and found out about the Ponseti method through a parent support group on i-village. The second doctor told me not to believe what I read on the internet when I asked him about the P method- so glad I didn't listen to him! We drove from MI to IA to see Dr. Ponseti and have never looked back. Having read your update after your appointment on Monday, I would like to reiterate that
1) I'd love to see you join the support group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nosurgery4clubfoot
and
2) PLEASE get a second opinion from Dr. Van Bosse---or from a doctor on the list at http://ponseti.info/parents
I feel very strongly that your current doctor has Grace (and you and your husband) set up for failure. I will pray for you and your family that you will be able to get to a doctor that will help take this stress out of your life and that you can finally feel confident that Grace is on the right path...not only short term, but long term.
Regards,
Jenny
Post a Comment