Thursday, June 19, 2008

Summer Eating (Can't Beat It)


This is nothing new, really, but I still feel like raving about last night's dinner. We had the last of the back-yard lettuce to use up, so a big salad was definitely on the menu. I raided the fridge (which was looking pretty bare) for accouterments, wanting something light following a Cajun chicken risotto from the night before. 24 hours later, I think I was still full from it. I found half a container of grape tomatoes, some fresh mozzarella, and my brain got to work. Insalada Caprese! Or, at least, some version of it ...

I went out to my little potted herb garden and picked some wonderfully aromatic basil leaves, a must-have for the "salad." We had half a loaf of a rustic Italian bread, so that was quickly sliced and brushed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Then came the basil leaves, tomatoes cut in half, and topped with the sliced mozzarella and a sprinkling of freshly ground black pepper. Into the broiler it went, very lightly toasting the bread and melting the mozzarella.

Don dubbed this little treat the "Mob Sandwich." Apparently, in my haste and my brain being elsewhere earlier in the day, I wrote "Calabrese" on the marker board (to remind me to pick basil) instead of "Caprese." Don saw the notation and wondered why I referenced a Mafia family. We got a good laugh about that one. I guess from now on this concoction will forever be known as the "Mob Sandwich."

Regardless of its new name, it was fabulous. A perfect side to go with our salad. This obviously wasn't rocket science, nor some never-before-attempted culinary masterpiece. But for us it was new, and delicious! Give it a try, summer eating friends! It's quick, easy, and wonderfully fresh. You can't go wrong.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

We used to grow only tomatoes and basil, and I loved doing this--for breakfast, of all meals!