Friday, June 8, 2007

Don's hanging out with the wrong crowd

I'm not sure I like Don's new co-worker. He started a few weeks ago. His name is Herschel, he's about our age and ... he's an audiophile. Herschel is enabling my husband's addiction.

A few days after Herschel started, Don came home with more than his lunch box. (Well, he doesn't really carry a lunch box -- it's one of those insulated things). He was carrying a very large black box with knobs. It made me nervous. He told me it was a pre-amp. Not quite sure what a PRE-amp is, and considering the fact that we have about 4+ regular amps ... well, my question was obvious: "Do we really need this?" And of course Don's answer (to the affirmative) was equally obvious. After spending about a full week on the kitchen table, this can't-live-without pre-amp has now taken up residence in our back hall, on the way to the basement. (Correction: it is now in the basement.)

A few days ago Don came home from work, again with more than his lunch box. There on the front porch was another black box with knobs (thankfully smaller than the first "gift" from Herschel). I just stared at it -- no audible questions necessary. Don blurted, "It's an amp ... from Herschel." Hmmmmm ... that brings our amp total up to ... well, a ridiculous number. That, too, is now sitting in the basement, next to the pre-amp, keeping it company.

I'm not sure I'm liking Herschel all that much.

********************
OK, I'll make one little concession: the other night Don was messing around in the back regions of the TV and other black boxes in our cabinet, kind of like an electronic proctologist, installing yet another "gift" from Herschel. He told me they were pure silver cables, designed to produce the absolute best picture when watching movies. We saw the James Bond flick, "Casino Royale" ... Pretty cool. I like pure silver cables.

Fine ... another concession. Herschel really does seem like a nice guy. I'm glad Don has a new buddy. He needed one.

No comments: