I love to read. I always have, ever since I was a little girl. I have some really fond memories of my childhood summers, participating in my local library's program of summer reading. I remember getting some kind of paper with many lines, where I would list each book as I read them. I can't remember what I read, but I remembering doing it -- and loving it.
With two active kids to take care of, I don't read as much as I used to. In fact, I don't read at all during the day -- only at night, tucked into my own bed, as much as I can devour before I fall asleep. My tendency is to pick up historic fiction (ha - no surprise there), and it's been a while since I've read a contemporary novel. Since my reading time is so limited, I usually shy away from anything "heavy" -- non-fiction, or things that will make me "think." Pathetic, I know, but maternal burn-out by day's end will do that to you. But hey -- I'm up for anything.
I have a fun and engaging opportunity in front of me that tickles my literary funny bone. I have been invited to not one, but two, book groups! The first invitation came from my friend Pam who lives in PA. She's experimenting with an online book group through her blog "Booknotes." We will be reading Susan Vreeland's Girl in Hyacinth Blue, a novel based on the discovery of an unknown painting by the Dutch master (and one of my all-time favorites) Johannes Vermeer. I've read Vreeland's The Passion of Artemisia and loved it, so I am looking forward to this journey and how it will all unfold online.
The other day I received an email from a woman in my new church, asking if I'd be interested in joining a little book group that had formed with some church members. I had heard about this before in a conversation with my new friend Jacie (also the pastor's wife -- hey, we have to stick together!), who is also a member of the church's group, so I've been chewing on it for a while. They hope to delve into A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khalid Hussein. Never heard of him, and since I rarely read this kind of contemporary work, this will be a great experience for me. I don't think two groups could be any farther apart! I don't necessarily like to read two books at once (perhaps not giving each individual work the undivided attention it deserves), and my little night table will be quite crowded (along with various Dr. Seuss, Curious George, and other story books), but it's healthy to shake things up a bit.
I've never done this before. I think it will be good for me, and a good way to get involved. I just ordered Vreeland's book from Half.com (expedited shipping, so it should get here soon) and then I'll try to find the other. I'm looking forward to this new little journey.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment