- We were getting ready to leave for a 4th of July parade this morning. Aidan was donning a Philadelphia Eagles jersey (a gift -- we're not fans). I suggested that he wear something red, white, and blue for fun -- kids like to do that kind of thing, right? "Why?" he asked. I explained that today was the 4th of July and launched into a very brief, 4-year-old level of our nation's history and struggle for independence. His response of "Oh" was followed by a lengthy pause, then "But I just want to look cool." Yeah, me too.
- As we drove to the parade, we were behind a pick-up truck with a bumper sticker that read, "Friends Don't Let Friends Use Red Dyed Mulch." I love it!!
- I recently purchased some new underwear for Aidan, and when given the choice to pick out what he wanted, he selected a 3-pack of briefs adorned with some of the characters from the CARS movie. Today he opted to wear Sarge, the military truck, on his butt. After seeing scores of fire trucks, policemen and women, marching bands, and the ones I can never figure out (the Masons and the "Salaam" Shriners), there came a few military vehicles and servicemen and women. "There's Sarge!" screamed Aidan, jumped up from his back seat in the double-stroller, "JUST LIKE MY UNDERPANTS!" We got a few amused looks from those sitting around us.
- The Mayor of the town drove by sitting atop a convertible with his family. "Hey, Mayor!" someone shouted. "Lower my taxes!" A few others chimed in. He yelled back, "I'm working on it! Mine too!" What an awkward, odd moment.
- The Mayor was soon followed by a Congressman, also sitting in a convertible (and probably wishing it was the Popemobile). Same dude shouted, "Hey, Congressman! Stop the war! Enough! We've had enough!" Others again chimed in. The Congressman responded (rather quietly), "We're going in that direction." Interesting response.
We left after an hour -- Grace was starting to fidget. It really was a fun, light-hearted way to spend the day. Tonight we're having a "picnic" (probably indoors, looking at the stormy clouds outside) with my parents, a low-key event yet still a great opportunity to try out some new recipes: cowboy steak and honey-mustard chicken with lemon and curry. Maybe this is my new discipline -- instead of trying to think so much, work things out in my head ... just really enjoy each day, and find at least one thing to appreciate: a new word from my daughter, a precious moment with my kids, a laugh with my husband, a new bloom in my garden (my daisies are up now, by the way), a newly discovered delectable dish, a memory shared. Today has been a good day.
Aidan took this picture and asked if I would post it -- one of his favorite scenes, the Shriners driving around in these really weird mini-cars.





No comments:
Post a Comment