Sunday, July 22, 2007

An UN-photogenic family

Don was having a very cute moment on the couch with the kids this afternoon, all cuddled up and listening to the Flaming Lips' Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (I'm not kidding -- a favorite of Aidan's. Now Grace loves it, calling them "wo-bops"). Don asked me to take a picture of him with the kids, to capture that perfect moment. Thank goodness I grabbed the digital camera rather than our "old school" camera with 35mm film, because it would have been a major waste of film. Out of the slew of pictures I took, not a single one turned out well. It was really unbelievable! Here are a few winners:

Grace apparently learned the "Loser" sign, seeing her Daddy's bad pose

Daddy still can't keep his eyes open, so Aidan assists

This eye thing is contagious ... now Aidan falls prey

Grace getting in on the act -- goofy kids with goofy faces. I don't know what happened to my beautiful girl ...

My all-time favorite: Grace's lovely gesture and Aidan ... what is up with his eyes? I can't look at that for too long without laughing. Just click on this picture to get the large version ... I guarantee you will laugh at these faces.


We have definitely gone the way of immature humor lately ... and it's awesome. Laughing at goofy faces and funny pictures -- always good. But add to that Aidan's latest "interest" -- a whoopie cushion. We went to a local store the other day to pick out some brightly colored and polished stones to add to his rock collection. In the next aisle he saw the whoopie cushion and said, "Mommy, we have to buy this -- it will really cheer Grandma up!" Sure enough ... we've been laughing all weekend long. I don't know what it is about those sounds but it's completely contagious. Aidan even showed our neighbor, John, and his girlfriend (Linda was wondering what those sounds were coming from behind the bush/fence in our yard). John was so impressed, finding a kindred spirit in this little boy-neighbor, that he came out with his own gimmick: a remote control fart machine. You should have seen Aidan's face ... utter awe. A gassy weekend + crazy faces = lots of good, hearty, healthy laughter.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

OK, Don--you look stoned! Isn't digital great? I remember hundreds of elementary school field trip pictures that are only worth of the trash--if only I could have trashed them on the spot! But there was something fun about the unknown, and the anticipation of getting those pictures printed after camp, etc.

If Kyra had a whoopie cushion, we'd never hear the end of it. Perhaps I'll add it to her birthday list! Farty humor is her favorite!

Anonymous said...

I was just looking through your creative and insightful blog. I read your sad photo story with your daughter Grace. I was wondering why not use this photo for your church book. I mean it seems to better capture your family's love for each other. This compared to the staged photo shoot for your church. I bet Grace was happy to be with her family that day. No pressure just her loving family.