Thursday, July 19, 2007

Happy Birthday, little Grace!


My baby turns 2 today. I'm still trying to digest that. We're not planning on having any more, so this is it -- our slow exit out of babyhood. Two years old ... unbelievable. I will never cease to be amazed at how different my two kids are. My pregnancy with Aidan was a breeze, but labor -- all natural and extremely and excruciatingly long -- was intense and not-so-fun. OK, fine ... it was horrible. I don't remember much of his first year because he never slept much, and neither did I. I spent a great deal of crying and feeling so incredibly inept.

Then comes Grace (in more ways than one!). While the pregnancy was a little more difficult (I think just because I had a two-year-old under foot), labor was actually a hoot ... thanks to the epidural. I felt nothing ... and I was completely giddy of it. I actually completely and totally enjoyed my experience in the hospital, and I laughed through the entire delivery. Once the drugs wore off I felt like crap -- way worse than after Aidan -- but I got through it.




Grace was my easy, easy, easy baby. She played by the baby rules. She slept through the night after just one week. Since "they" say you should wake up a baby to feed them at such an early age, I did so ... she didn't seem to care a bit. She would nurse in about 10-15 minutes, get her diaper changed, and instantly go back to sleep until the morning. It was heaven.

Sure, we had our heart-breaks with her -- or rather, her clubfoot. Her first cast at two weeks, surgery at 4 months. While I think that searing anguish will forever remain with me, thankfully she will never remember a thing.

And now today, she is a hearty, raucous, extremely happy, extroverted, musical, bright, galloping two year old with the biggest eyes and curliest lashes I have ever seen. She's a spitfire, with a bubbling temper under that adorable surface, and I know we will have immense struggles in her teen years. But for now, she's still my baby, and my dream.

Happy Birthday, sweet, sweet Gracie-girl. I love you with a passion I didn't even know was possible. You're a tremendous blessing to me, a bundle of Grace.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Happy birthday, sweet Gracie! We love having you and your brother in our lives....we feel blessed, blessed, blessed to know you!