Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Casting Call: Day #4 ... IDENTITY

I won't be going through a day-by-day rundown of our casting experience (or at least, I don't plan on doing so), but things just keeping popping up (so far, at least) that I want to jot down. This one was a real winner ...

OK, so Day #1 was a Novelty, Day #2 was Misery, Day #3 dealt with a broken cast, and yesterday was the cutest of all days: true acceptance of her situation ... and accepting it with a flash of Grace-humor.

My parents had a guest over for dinner last night, a lovely woman who has been praying for us a great deal. Grace and I were spread out in the back yard, on a blanket playing with a Prince and Princess, some Little People, and all the while pretending we were on some island. Jack's houndish baying alerted us to this woman's arrival, so I got up and met her at the gate. We chatted a bit, until I heard her say pitingly, "Ooohhh ... just look ..."

I turned around and there was my little Grace, crawling toward us down the long side yard, an Olympic distance for her, booking at an impressive pace, chunky hot pink leg flying. Her strong little arms dug into the ground as she pulled her hind-end behind her. It was really cute, yet it still breaks my heart to watch her. She crawled up to us and sat down, taking a deep breath.

She then looked up into the face of this visitor and said:

"Hi, I'm Grace ... and I can't walk."

My sweet, sweet girl ...

No comments: