Friday, August 1, 2008

"Friday Five" of the outdoor variety


Once again, a fun "Friday Five" borrowed from my friend's blog -- perfect for these carefree summer days ...

1. Did you go to sleep away camp, or day camp, as a child? Wish you could? Or sometimes wish you hadn't?

The whole "sleep away" camp thing was never really done when I was kid, or now even. I really don't anyone who does this kind of thing in our area. Don went to them, however, in the Poconos -- basketball camp, Bible camp, etc. However, when I was a child I attended our church group called "Calvinettes" (yes, we CRC-ers come up with great names!) -- kind of like the Girl Scouts, but within our CRC denomination. Once a year, if I'm not mistaken, there would be a 1- or 2-night getaway at a camp of some kind, once you reached a certain age. I know I went one year; I don't think I ever went back. I HATED IT. WITH A PASSION. For those of you who know me -- and know me well -- this shouldn't be a surprise. Homesick? Yes. Having a desire to hang out with catty little girls? No. The older girls were horrible, scaring us younger ones on purpose -- telling stories of girls who got kidnapped in the woods, the whole coke-and-aspirin, or coke-and-pop rocks death stories, etc. I cried when I left; I cried when my parents picked me up. I think my dad felt sorry for me, and missed me, because he gave me a gift when I got back: a necklace with a little heart pendant, complete with a rainbow and tiny fake diamond. I still have that necklace in my dresser -- for Grace, some day.

2. How about camping out? Dream vacation, nightmare, or somewhere in between?

When I was a baby my parents owned a pop-up trailer, and for the first couple of years of my life we would go camping. I don't remember any of that, other than seeing myself on my dad's old slides, usually covered with mosquito bites. They sold the camper when they discovered my oldest brother, Steve, was allergic to ... well, everything outdoors. That was that.

Camping as an adult? Love it. Don and I used to go camping quite a bit, before we had kids. We had some fabulous experiences and adventures, but we had a consistent run of bad luck when it came to our actual camping location. Smokey Mountains: neighbors to a group of drunken men who sat out and drank until 5:00 a.m. Kentucky: neighbors to a group of drunken men (although that time we asked if we could trade our camp site, which we did). You get the idea.

3. Have you ever worked as a camp counselor, or been to a camp for your denomination for either work or pleasure?

Camp Counselor? Nope. I don't like camps, remember?

4. Most dramatic memory of camp, or camping out?

Ohhhh ... so many. Smokies: not only did we have raucous drunken men next door, but the skies opened up in a dramatic downpour which lasted for hours on end. Then we spent the next day hiking the mountains -- 5,000 ft and climbing swiftly -- only to run out of water. Thankfully we found a hidden spring of the freshest, most delicious ice cold water ... Beautiful. And the scenery was unsurpassed. Kentucky: After moving our campsite to a more remote location, I got soooo sick. I believe it was a combination of many hours of driving (I don't do long distance driving too well) plus canned chili for dinner. Later, after more driving and another campsite, we found a map and plotted our hiking course -- a 6-hour hike, over a rope bridge (yikes!), lots of fascinating sights, ending up at a gorgeous waterfall. Turns out the map was ... WRONG. Rope bridge, yes (scary!). Fascinating sights? Only mile after mile of leafy terrain. Humidity enough to rival the Amazon. Horse flies (or some biting variety). Dead end after dead end. And -- no waterfall.

5. What is your favorite camp song or songs? Bonus points if you link to a recording or video.

OK, hate camp. Hate it. So "camp songs" sort of fall into that category as well. I can give you a list of all the camp songs I despise, beginning with "It Only Takes a Spark." :)

We had a fabulous, 4-person tent for all of these years. But then as we were packing up our stuff for our final move from PA back to NJ over a year ago, we came across our tent in the basement of the rectory. Something so hideous HAD DIED IN IT! We just threw the tent out. Maybe someday we'll try it all again ...

No comments: