Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Standing Up!


Haven't figured out how to post a little movie yet on this blog, although I would love to get Grace's "walking" on tape somehow. [On tape? did I just date myself?] A picture will suffice for now, taken yesterday afternoon of my little girl standing on her own two feet. The bent position destroys any semblance of good posture, and her "good" leg has to take on a tremendous amount of the weight, but ... she's doing it. She's upright and mobile.

What a sight, huh? What this girl has been through is pretty amazing -- with a big Gracie-smile to boot. And I had a thought yesterday -- I have a feeling that these weeks spent in a cast will actually help her adjust very easily to the nighttime brace. If we just went cold-turkey from absolute freedom to the brace, we'd have a war on our hands. But now she knows what it feels like to be restricted, to be hindered in her mobility. And I think this will ease the adjustment into having her little feet strapped together every night. At least the heavy cast will be off; at least she'll be able to bend her knees and be more flexible. It's a different kind of restriction, to be sure, but I have a feeling that it will be easier to deal with. Plus, all of this current annoyance is dealt with 24 hours a day. With the brace, she'll be sleeping. She'll be free during the day when she'll need it the most.

No comments: