Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Apparently We Don't Live on 34th St (Or: There's no miracle here ...)

I've learned an important lesson.

Miracle on 34th St. is about a little girl who has no imagination and does not believe in anything imaginary.

Note: Do not watch this movie with a little boy who has no imagination and does not believe in anything imaginary.

It was a flop, to put it mildly. We had to turn it off after about an hour -- Grace gave up within the first 10 minutes, and I couldn't take any more of Aidan's questioning.

Is that little girl Grandma when she was a little?
No, it's not.
But it looks like Grandma.
Well, it's not.
Are you sure it's not Grandma?
I'm sure. She's just an actress.
Oh ... but she looks like Grandma.
She's not. Her name is Susan.
Oh ... but Grandma's name isn't Susan.


Is that man really Santa Claus?
Well, yes ... I mean, no ... I mean, he thinks he is.
Is there a Santa Claus?
No.
Then why does he say he's Santa Claus?
Because it's part of the movie.
Oh ... but I don't get it.
Can you just pretend that he's Santa?
OK, I guess ... I don't know ...

Now imagine that for an hour.

Aidan, do you want to turn this off and play for a while instead before bed?
Yes. I'm done with this.

Oh, so am I ...

No comments: