
Maybe ... but not in our corner of the NJ sky.
Over the weekend, local newspapers brought forth the story of a space extravaganza, hearkening all Northern New Jerseyans outdoors to view something that won't occur for another 50 years: a visible pairing of Venus and Jupiter, dancing around the moon. "December 1st is the night," the papers declared -- how cool is that?
So on December 1st, the night of all starry nights, we finished our dinner and prepared for our star gazing adventure. We bundled up the kids, leashed the dogs, grabbed a few bags (you can guess what they're for), and made our way out into the nippy evening. Aidan was beyond excited, the little scientist in him jumping for celestial joy. We walked down to the corner, made the turn ...
... and saw a blanket of steely gray clouds.
Man! What a bummer!
We kept walking, hoping (in an exercise of body as well as futility) that the wind would part the cloudy curtain, displaying the shining event going on behind the scenes. No such luck. The clouds thickened, roiled, stubbornly refusing to reveal the splendor behind them. Selfish, if you ask me.
Well, at least we have something to look forward to 50 years from now ...

1 comment:
I almost hate to tell you that I got to see it, but much earlier, around 5:00 or so, as I was leaving Pathmark. By the time I finished running some other errands, about a half hour later, it was gone, blotted out by cloud cover. :( I'd like to say it really wasn't all that beautiful, but....
Post a Comment