Due to the fact that Grace must wear her brace while she sleeps, she therefore is not able to sleep under sheets or blankets. You're just asking for trouble -- and a sleepless night -- if you try to cover her up for warmth, for the gadget on her feet would get tangled up in no time. So to keep her snuggly on these cold winter nights, Grace wears multiple layers under her thick fleece sleeper, looking like one of those cruciform-shaped kids stuffed into their snowsuits.
One such sleeper in her wardrobe is adorable -- feet cut off to accommodate the brace; soft white and covered with multi-colored Christmas stockings. But to our jaded daughter, whose life-experiences with clubfoot set her apart in some ways, there's nothing cute about it.
This morning, as I stripped her down for her bath, peeling her onion-like of all of her layers, she picked up the discarded sleeper on the floor and examined it.
"Mommy," she said with a thoughtfully furrowed brow, "Why are there casts all over this sleeper?"
Casts, indeed.
My poor girl -- I know it's not a big deal, really, but these moments are bittersweet for me, as her mom.
Funny, because she's so incredibly cute.
But a little sad too, because her first thought isn't of holiday fun, innocence, festivities, and Christmas stockings.
Her default is what she has had to endure -- what makes up her life.
But she's Grace ... my Grace ... and I adore her ... casts (or stockings?) and all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hey Sue,
As I've read your posts about Grace's feets problem I've been praying and will continue to do so!
Have you looked into getting a blanket-holder-upper-gizmo? I don't know what they're called. They're marketed to people with neuropathy of the feet, restless leg, and other illnesses where you can't bear to have anything touch your feet. I've seen them in medical-supply catalogs. It's basically a C-shaped contraption that slides between mattress and box spring at the foot of the bed, and then curves around toward the top of the bed about a foot up. You make the bed over it, and it holds the blankets "up" that high from about the knees down. If you or your husband are handy, you might even be able to make one.
Just a thought - you might've tried it and it didn't work for her.
Blessings!
She's is truly beautiful inside and out, and in due time things will get better. I'll keep her in my prayers as I do all of you. I know it's hard right now, but you'll look back on this in the future and all the negative moments will just seem like a Pennie compared to a Quarter.
Post a Comment