Having crossed the threshold into sheer-exhaustion status, I will write down some of our post-Christmas hilarity, to sum up one of the most wonderful Christmas celebrations we've had in years.
And when it comes to hilarity, Grace is usually at the center.
I have been battling a nagging cold these past few days, and tonight I crashed. I laid on the floor while Grace hovered, pulling out her doctor kit and getting to work. At one point she paused from her ministrations and frowned.
"I don't know why people keep calling me 'Mary Christmas' -- they must think I'm one of Santa's helpers. But I'll tell you ... I quit!"
****************************
At bedtime, I sat in my usual spot between the two kids, reading a story about the three Wise Men. "And they came to the city of ..." I paused, trying to prompt Grace to fill in the blank.
"Bethlehem," she responded.
"Nope," I said. "They went there later. Where did they go first?"
"I don't know," she said.
"OK, well, who was the king?" I asked, trying a different tactic.
"David!" shouted Grace.
"No, Herod!" piped in Aidan.
"Right," I said. "Now, Grace, where did King Herod live? Juh -- ... Juh -- ..."
"JAMAICA!"
****************************
And if nothing else, this will tell you how absolutely exhausted I am. We finished our routine by praying together, and I launched into our familiar opener:
Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep,
Let Jesus watch me through the night ...
Here I was supposed to say "Until I wake in morning light." But instead, in my cold-ridden haze, I mumbled ...
"Until I wake in forty nights."
****************************
I hope you all had the happiest Christmas!
I am off for that oft-repeated "long winter's nap ..."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Glad to hear you guys had a great Christmas, things were crazy here as well. Now comes the new Year!
Post a Comment