Tuesday, December 1, 2009

My Protege (Or: Grooming the Next Generation)

I love Christmas -- the lights, the decorations, the preparations -- and although I'm finding this year's transition to be a little rocky so far for various reasons, I am nonetheless getting into that familiar "spirit" of things now that December is officially here. Aidan hung the first button on our Advent Button Tree, and The Season is officially underway. And, to my joy (and, admittedly, frequent frustration), I am finding that I am not the only one how has this particular "spirit." Apparently my daughter shares this particular strand of DNA as well.

Yesterday I wanted to tackle decorating our front porch, the focal point being a small 3-foot tree that the kids enjoy decorating. In the past, this has always been known as "Aidan's Tree," a moniker that had to be changed once Grace came on the scene. For several years, Aidan has always had the pleasure of decorating it to his little heart's content, usually adorned with ornaments that he had made in school. But this year Grace announced that this was her tree, and she wanted the decorating honors.

After her nap, we had a little time to play around before Aidan came home from school. Immediately she made a beeline for the front porch and set to work. I must admit, the perfectionist, "Christmas has to be perfect!" side of me was twitching like crazy, with each ornament placed on the "wrong" branch, the lopsided effect bringing a smile to her face and a grimace to mine. Let it go, you moron ... I said to myself. This is Grace's moment. And was she ever proud!

"Her" tree, in its current form, lasted about an hour. I confess, the twitching finally overcame me and I found my hand reaching out, moving each ornament up a branch or two and filling in the holes. She never knew the difference. And being the big-hearted girl that she is, she left one ornament for her big brother to place, which he gladly did when he came home.

I have a little grooming to do with my precious elf, but she's definitely got the spirit. I just can't wait to see what she does with the baking of cookies.



For all its 'imperfections,' it's perfect. It's so Grace. I love this photo!


1 comment:

Jo-Ann said...

LOVE the thumbs up at the end! lol

I too love the preparations for Christmas. We have a rule. No Christmas boxes until after Matthew's birthday (Nov 24). So after his birthday I can't wait to dig it all out.

The boys have had their own tree as well, but it is so tiny. I think I may have to head out to Wal-Mart and pick up a three foot tree for them to call their own.

I assembled our tree this afternoon but it is undecorated. The boys have Friday off school so I thought we could work on decorations then. I am considering starting a new family tradition this year as well. After the tree is decorated, having a sleep over under the tree. Could be fun.

By the way, I am jealous of the green grass I see out your window. It is cold and snowy here. Right now it is 14 F and supposed to be -4 F by the start of next week. Brrrrrr.