Wednesday, December 30, 2009

It's Coming Down

I think this is a new record for me, taking down the Christmas tree before the year has ended.

But it's gotta come down ... I can't take my cranky girl any more. I'm about 90% sure she's allergic to it, for over the course of these past few weeks she has truly turned into some kind of girlie Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. She's not all prickers and thorns, but when she's off ... watch out. Those moments have been far from enjoyable.

Upon watching her closely, it seems almost as if she can't even stand herself. She's not irritable or cranky or contrary by nature, yet that easy-going, lovin' life spirit is quite often nowhere to be found. She seems uncomfortable in her own skin, wanting to be her usual jolly self yet struggling to find it.

At least, I'm hoping ...

If the tree comes down, however, and she remains this way, we're in trouble. Until she "grows out of it," that is.

I too haven't been feeling well ... outrageously tired, crashing thunderously around mid- to later afternoon, feeling as if I'm stuffed full of cement as I try to drag myself around the house -- not unlike how I've been feeling in the fall. I want to blame it on the parties, on the socializing, on the kids ... yet there's this tiny little corner in the back of my brain which is posing the dreaded question: am I too reacting to this tree? If so, though, why now, after all these years? I wonder how I'll be feeling in about a week's time when this drooping, sad, past-its-prime tree leaves our living room.

I'm feeling a bit Scroogish with these too-early plans of removal, but my feelings of desperation to get our life -- at least the interior part of it -- back to some sense of normalcy is reigning supreme. And I hope and pray the physical symptoms follow suit.

1 comment:

sis said...

I was in the mood to take down my tree as well, but never got to it.