Monday, December 14, 2009

Checklist

We're midway through December, and today I thought I should take a mental checklist of where I am in the grand scheme of things. I rather wish I didn't ...

- Kids' gifts: bought and paid for. Wrapped? Nope - not yet.
- Parents' gifts: mine are taken care of, although I can't say what it is, since they read this blog. Can't spoil the surprise! Don's parents -- we have an idea, which remains to be purchased.
- Christmas menu (since it's at our house this year): two more people were just added to the guest list -- the more the merrier, as they say. The menu is pretty much in order ... nothing is purchased or prepared, however.
- Church fundraiser: this weekend. Planned and still to be executed.
- Christmas cards: just finished up the last batch and they'll go out in the mail tomorrow (phew!).
- Teachers, bus drivers, etc. -- A class mom called me recently, informing me that my kids' teachers' birthdays fall a few days before Christmas. OK ... and ... "Well, your kids can give them a gift, make a card, etc." OK, sure, why not?-- just add it to the list of things to do! I thought of baking Christmas cookies with the kids, but ... a) I don't like to bake with the kids, b) I don't really like to bake, period, and c) just tell me where I can fit that in this list of things to do? I hope everyone will appreciate a homemade Christmas card this year ...
- Class Christmas parties -- "I need you to make a snacky thing," said the above class mom. Can I somehow make edible homemade Christmas cards?
- Kids' Christmas program in church: rehearsal is this Saturday, with the program the following day. Aidan has easily memorized his lines, as he is -- he declared quite proudly -- "The Head Holy Angel." What a role!
- Aidan's Christmas chapel in school: he's got his lines nailed (thank goodness for his sharp memory and instant recall!) so all I have to do is show up, with Grace. I just hope she doesn't try to run up there and steal the show.

This time of year I always struggle with my husband's gift list ... or, rather, his non-existent gift list. Or his gift list which is made up of electronic items I've never heard of. Or it simply says "money to buy electronic items you've never heard of." To be frank, he's not a lot of fun to shop for. A few smaller items are ordered and on the way (if they arrive in time for Christmas, I'll be most happy). But what else? I slipped my recent brilliant idea into conversation recently, to see if he'd bite -- I found out he would never want what I suggested. Thank goodness I asked!

Time's ticking away. And yet, as always, everything gets done, everything gets beautifully wrapped, smiles are firmly in place, and Christmas is always a beautiful day. But boy, I have a lot to do in the meantime ...

No comments: