It has been seriously hectic around this household. I think, psychologically, when the December dates begin to hit double-digits, the swirling chaotic activity seems to ramp up overnight. Adding to the mix are a myriad of birthday parties Aidan and/or Grace has been invited to, various church events and fundraisers, Christmas card signing and mailing, not to mention somehow fitting in some shopping in there somewhere ...
This is nothing new, but I do feel as if I need things to slow down a bit so I can catch my breath. This morning Grace and I are bringing Daddy to work so I can have the car -- and then the running around begins. Thankfully, a friend offered to watch Grace this morning so I can finally tackle some Christmas shopping without nosy kids in tow, and I'm actually looking forward to it -- despite the fact that I plan on going to Toys R Us, a store that really does overwhelm me.
Yesterday I had two very humorous conversations with my kids -- not necessarily anything laugh-worthy to them, but I just found it all to be pretty darned cute. Due to icy conditions in the morning, Grace's preschool was canceled and Aidan had a two hour delay. At 9:30 a.m. we waited in the garage, door up, watching for the bus and being shielded from the deluge of rain that came pouring out of the sky. Flood watches and warnings were everywhere, but thankfully we live on a very steep hill and all we suffered from was intense wetness. As we stood there, my boy and I side by side, we discussed what was happening outside. His little scientific brain was having a party with the events unfolding before him, gleefully informing me why we don't get flooded, why the water was running downhill, the role that gravity plays in all of it ... No humor whatsoever, but I couldn't help but smile at this little old man, so serious and matter-of-fact.
And then there was Grace, who could care less about why it rains or why water flows downhill. In the evening, after her bath, she ran to me for her nightly ministrations of Eucerin Calming Creme, our attempt at keeping the itchy and raw eczema at bay. Both kids have it, and it flares up mightily in the wintertime. They loathe any kind of cream or lotion on their skin, for even though it is supposed to help, nonetheless it still stings painfully. After drying her off, Grace told me her skin wasn't so bad, but she did have a few "radishes."
Radishes?
She pointed to a red, dry spot on her thigh. "See, Mommy? This is a radish." Cute, cute girl -- "radish" sounds much less sinister than a nasty "rash."
I never knew the language of children could be so much fun.
Thursday, December 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Radishes... LOVE it! Thanks for the laugh!
Post a Comment