Well, sort of ... Don is at Home Depot now, while I am clearing out (or, rather, was) the corner in our living room of the myriad of things stashed there, including a cradle stuffed with dolls and accessories, a toy stroller, some pillows, you name it. The end table and lamp have to go as well, but I made it halfway into the kitchen with them, waiting for their trip down into the basement.
But aren't traditions just asking to be broken? Or perhaps thwarted just a bit? Yes, our Third Annual Mystery Tree might not be such a mystery after all. I just got a call from Don, who said that every single Balsam Fir that he looked at is near death. With each shake, or mere touch, the needles went cascading to the ground. Wonderful ... now what? He asked permission to spend $10 more on a Frasier Fir that is actually alive. The catch? They're unwrapped. Hence, no mystery. So what shall we do? Stick with our fun tradition and buy a wrapped -- yet dead! -- tree? Or suck it up to a thwarted tradition and go with something that will actually last until Christmas? I'm all for traditions, but I believe I do have my limits. Wasting my money on something already dead is not my idea of fun.
You make the call. And we'll see what Don comes home with ... If nothing else, at least that part will be the mystery this year.
Meanwhile, in a few minutes I'll be heading out the door with my parents to stroll the booths at our school's annual Christmas Bazaar. I can't say I plan on buying anything, besides picking up the hoagies that we had pre-ordered, but it's fun to browse ... without children. Don will be bringing the kids to my nephew's birthday party later this morning, so from 11 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. they will be preoccupied with games, raucous children, and food. This afternoon we will commence the trimming of the Semi-Mystery Tree ... so stay tuned for what I'm sure will be a fairly blog-worthy event!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment