Grilled Salmon with Thai Cucumber Relish
Prep time: 15 minutes
Marinating time: 15 minutes to 4 hours
Grilling time: 6-8 minutes
4 salmon steaks (we used 1.25 lb salmon fillet)
3 tbs dark sesame oil
freshly ground black pepper
RELISH:
2 tbs fresh lime juice
1 tbs fish sauce
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs sugar
1 tbs finely chopped fresh mint
1 tbs finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp minced serrano chile
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 cup finely chopped or thinly sliced cucumber
***************************
A few notes before I go on ...
- I did not have fish sauce on hand, so (according to a few other sources) I doubled the soy sauce to substitute
- I did not have a serrano chile, so I substituted the closest thing my grocery store had (a hot green pepper)
- I completely forgot about the sesame oil -- Don just used salt and pepper on the salmon
(Considering these deviations, it still tasted terrific!)
***************************
To make the relish:
- In a medium bowl, whisk all the relish ingredients except the cucumber.
- Add the cucumber, stir well, and allow to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes (or for as long as 4 hours).
Grill the salmon:
- Lightly brush or spray salmon with the sesame oil (if you remember!)
- Season with pepper to taste.
- Grill over direct high heat until cooked to desired doneness (6-8 minutes for medium-rare), turning once.
We served it on a bed of rice, topped with the relish and as much of the juice as you like. Enjoy!

No comments:
Post a Comment