Saturday, August 29, 2009

A Future Bright (and Creative)

Last night, before bed, I sat on the couch in the middle of my two little ones -- sleepy and pajama-clad. I looked to my left and there was Grace ... nightgown on, a pink purse stuffed with treasures slung over her left arm, a small lamb clutched in her left hand, and a mini Magna-Doodle in her right hand. She was half-talking, half-singing, her arms waving -- about what, I have no idea. But she sure was having a good time.

I looked over to my right and there was Aidan, his Bible open on his lap, seriously studying the index, looking for just the right story. He was muttering the titles and page numbers, oh-so-studiously. He found the story he wanted -- page 212 -- and began looking for it.

I smiled. These kids are are pure wonders. "Grace," I said, "I think you're going to be an actress. And Aidan, I think you're going to be an engineer."

They both stopped what they were doing and looked at me incredulously. "Nah," said Aidan. "I want to be a baseball player."

"And I want to be a princess!" declared Grace.

So much for predictions. Sometimes I do step back and try to envision them as adults, what kinds of things will strike their little fancies, what paths they will take. But I don't linger in the future too long ... I have far too much to enjoy right here, right now.

Princess or Actress, Engineer or Baseball Player ... It really doesn't matter. They're priceless as they are.

No comments: