Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Battle of the Nature Venues: Who Wins?


Now that we have spent two full seasons here in northern NJ (spring and summer), I've been noticing some interesting differences between our "great outdoors" in PA and here in NJ -- and frankly, these have all been positive changes:

- I have not seen a SINGLE stinkbug. Seriously ... praise the Lord for that. I
loathe stinkbugs -- they're creepy beyond all creepiness, and we always had infestation problems toward the end of summer with these horrendous things. Now ... nothing. I believe stinkbugs -- as well as ticks, another loathsome creature -- were not present in the Garden of Eden, but rather came afterward as a product of sin. NJ = Stinkbug Free. Hallelujah.

- I have not seen Japanese beetles. Our garden was not ravished, as were our gardens in PA. No matter what we tried, the Japanese beetles were victorious every year. This year ... nothing. There's another product of sin right there ...

- I actually saw a hummingbird in our backyard the other day. Now, that's not to say PA doesn't have hummingbirds. I'm sure it does -- I just never saw them, ever. But to see that random hummingbird flitting around our yard was just amazing to me. I think it's a good sign.

Ironically enough, in this most urban-esque of suburbs in which we now live, we have had the best nature experience. Definitely a good sign. I love it.

3 comments:

Amypie71 said...

Hi, I came here through Mary's blog, just saying hi. btw I'm glad we don't have stink bugs here, at least I don't think we do :-)

Anonymous said...

I love captain crunch cereal. Yummy,Yummy! Rather than talk about bugs why not about the kind of great cereal you grew up with.
I would enjoy an article on this subject. i liked the commecial for coco puffs in the seventies. Oh it was so funny "Koo-koo for Coco Puffs.
HEEE-HAA!

Anonymous said...

I like the blog but agree with the comment above{SEPT 26} it be better if there were more writings on cereals.I loved TRIX as a child but felt it was unfair the rabbit could never have some.I think the kids could have given him a bowl. Then there was the Lepercan pardon the spelling for lucky charms who seemed like he was all sugared up "pink hearts,green clovers..." somthing like that. i could go on and on. What toy surprices were your favorites? Did you think Honey Combs had real honey? Or remember when your parents went the cheap route and just bought Rice Crispies or Cheeros. Did they have stock in general mills? yuck! These are subjects us Blog readers would enjoy reading.