My kids have been cracking me up lately with their little sayings. Aidan's been asking a lot of "why?" questions, trying to figure things out -- like where "food chicken" comes from, how a baby gets out of a mommy's belly, etc. That last one he, again, tried to figure out on his own -- "Does the baby climb up on your bones to get out?"
The source of my chuckling has come from the way they phrase things. In our pile of junk mail yesterday was the Oriental Trading Post catalog -- the kind of thing where you can cheaply buy large packs of things, like 500 decorated pencils, which are great for Sunday School or things like that. Aidan and Grace stood side by side, catalog opened on the living room chair, and the "ooooh's" and "aaaaah's" over each page was hilarious. Finally Aidan said to his sister, "Gracie! This is an incredible magazine!"
Last night I was getting Aidan ready for bed, brushing his teeth and so on. He was sweaty from running around the yard, but not dirty enough for a bath (which he just had the night before), so as he stood on the toilet I washed him down with a soapy cloth. Remembering my mistake last time -- drenching the cloth in cold water, to his shrieks -- I ran the cloth under hot water instead. When the soapy cloth touched his little back, he closed his eyes and sighed deeply, "Aaaahh ... now that's what I call ... WARM!"
Grace has taken to chastising her big brother lately, but the way she does it cracks me up. If Aidan takes something from her, or if he has something that she wants, she refuses to remain silent. She changes the tone of her voice, to somewhat of a low growl (which is so darned cute coming out of a 2-year-old little girl), yet the words that come out, while funny, aren't always intelligible ... except the first and the last:
"Aaaaa - din! babble babble babble -- something about a book -- growl growl babble ... UNDERSTAND?!"
Oooohhh ... I am getting a glimpse here. What must I sound like to them? :)
Friday, September 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment