Ahhhhhh ... autumn, my favorite season of the year. The crisp, cool air with that subtle scent you can only describe as "fall;" the popping up of pumpkins and brightly colored mums; the russets and orange, reds and yellows dotting the yards and parks. Maybe my love for this season is partly because I'm a red head and actually match the landscape. I love it all. I can't get enough of the beautiful outdoors.
And, of course, a new season of TV kicks off indoors.
OK, I do flirt with a couch potato syndrome, but it's only in the evening, after a long, long day with my kids and the non-stop household things that need doing. When the kids are bathed, brushed, diapered (in Grace's case), clothed, read to and prayed with, and finally tucked in, I am ready to check out and put myself in someone else's world for a little while. Yes, I could read a book instead, but I usually don't -- I have found that, since I read every night before bed anyway (after the tube and lights go off), if I read too much (oh, is there such a thing?) I experience a) a bad headache, and b) I can't fall asleep. It's strange.
I was looking forward to last night, the season premier of America's Next Top Model. For those of you just joining my little blog-realm, this is one of my secret vices. I love this show. I think I look at it like art, in a way -- young women who might, on the surface, look rather un-model-ish, but are "magically" transformed through a camera lens. It's really cool. I had the living room to myself with absolutely no interruptions from the kids, who hit the sack with an immediate thud. Don was still at work, although he came home at 8:00 p.m. (at the very start of the show) and promptly got on the phone for a "telephone appointment" with his spiritual director. I had that blissful hour to myself. Looks like it will be a good season, too -- you have the catty female whom no one likes, the stereotypical tall blonde "good Southern girl" from Texas, and even someone with Asperger's Syndrome. Delicious.
And to my great surprise, we got a bonus treat, discovered after flipping through the channels: the premiere of a new show called Kitchen Nightmares, hosted by our favorite crass-yet-genius chef Gordon Ramsay of Hell's Kitchen fame. Don and I are big fans of HK (he even went online to see if he could enter as a participant!), so when we saw clips of this upcoming show earlier in the spring we were very excited. Boy, was that a fun hour! Ramsay visited an Italian family-owned restaurant on Long Island, and it was straight out of a scene from The Sopranos. In fact, on two occasions during filming, so-called "credit collectors" came calling, resulting in verbal warfare and a sidewalk scuffle. If that's not Paulie Walnuts paying a visit then I think I have a chance to be America's Next Top Model ...
A fun, easy, escape-for-a-moment kind of evening, finished off by a section in my latest book club book, The Prize-Winner of Defiance, Ohio: How My Mother Raised 10 Kids on 25 Words of Less by Terry Ryan. I slept amazingly well last night, despite my cold (which I caught from Grace, and which I unfortunately and regrettably shared with my chemo-stuffed and presently immune-deficient mother -- ugh!) I just finished my second cup of coffee, and I'm ready to start my day.
Blessings.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment