skip to main |
skip to sidebar
"Hair" Today, Gone ... Today
Oh, the corny hair jokes! Must be my nerves. So today's the day! I said to my sister-in-law that even if I don't like the end result, it will feel so good (and so incredibly weird!) to have all that weight off my head for the first time in almost 15 years. It felt a little strange while washing my hair this morning, thinking, "Wow, this won't be here later today, and the next time I wash it I won't have to wring it out." It made me think of my mom who, on that one morning we all knew was coming, washed her hair in the kitchen sink and rinsed almost all of it right off her head. I know it's not the same, but I did get a tiny glimpse into what that must have felt like. Who knows -- maybe this will be a spiritual exercise for me as well, the lifting of burdens, the freedom from weight (now if I could just find freedom from other weight areas I'd be one happy girl!). As promised, here are some "before pictures," taken in the way-too-early a.m. by my coffee-less husband (the pictures seem a little blurry and shaky) ... not the best representation because my hair is wet, so just picture twice the amount of wavy poof as well as double the weight. Frankly I'm surprised at the number of people who are trying to DISsuade me from doing this. What's that about "no good deed goes unpunished?" It's only hair, and a gesture that means a lot to me and my mom. So the time of my hair's departure is 12:30 p.m. Pray for me -- I feel the cold feet coming on! 
3 comments:
Yes, it is only hair. And it'll grow back.
I wish I would have done the solidarity thing with my mom when she was getting chemo.
Good for you! No matter what those anonymous commenters say! ;)
I'm with Amy--some of the anonymous comments seem over the top and inappropriate---time to only accept comments with identities attached???
Anyway, by now the hair is short and I, for one, can't wait to see. I suppose you remember me cutting maybe 8 inches off after my mom died. I still had long hair (eek--how did I ever get it so long to begin with????), but it was so much less. And I did feel somehow in solidarity and unburdened. Can't wait to join you next week!
Sister-in-law, Michelle, here. I was with Sue and I know you all can't wait to see her new do. Let me just tell you, it looks awesome! It's so cute and fun. I really like it. It was a fun day together. You go girl!
Post a Comment