We've got quite the stacked calendar ahead of us for the next week ... or actually, the next two weeks. Busy, busy ...
- Tomorrow Grace, Aidan, possibly my dad, and myself will travel to PA for our visit with Dr. Wonder. It's been three months, and if this visit goes well we're hoping he'll stretch these check-ups to 4 month intervals, if not six. But ... we'll see. I'm not thrilled with her foot, but I don't think my concerns would be visible to anyone who wasn't staring so hawk-like at her feet as I do. She seems tight, yet her dorsiflexion (her flexibility, when I press the bottom of her forefoot upward) isn't too bad. I believe she has indeed lost a few degrees, but I don't think she's fallen into the scary "neutral" or "negative" categories. I had read recently that clubfoot kids who wear the brace diligently often walk with a slight "duck-foot" stance, feet pointing outward. Grace's feet are ramrod straight -- almost too straight for my comfort. Her MA (metatarsus adductus) seems a bit more pronounced than it was in the spring, and her big toe oddly points far more inward than anything else. I'm not sure if I should voice my concerns, or let his expert eye pick these things out ... or not.
- On Tuesday, Aidan turns 7!!! ... and starts school. There's some mixed feelings in that bag -- excited to start school, but unsure if it's a "good" thing to share it with his birthday. He's beyond thrilled, though, to go back. I'm going to miss my little guy, my companion. Oh, and I've been requested to bake cupcakes to share with the class as a birthday treat. Send my boy off to school, bake cupcakes, run them up to school later in the morning ... These kids had better do more than just lick the icing off the top!
- Later this week I will take Grace to visit her preschool, adjacent to Aidan's elementary school. The girl is a mystery to me -- I'm sure she'll be fine, but she's not your "typical" student. Will she break out in song and dance during a lesson on the Letter K? Will she start chattering away to her pencil while her teacher is reading a story? I have absolutely no expectations with her whatsoever, so each day will be some new discovery ... for all of us.
- Next week Grace starts school for the very first time in her life. I know some moms -- whether out of necessity due to job demands, or simply because they want free time -- start their young children in preschool at the age of 2 or 3, but Don and I made the conscious decision years ago that we would keep our kids home until they turned 4. And here we are already; my baby is now a preschooler! Prepare for lots of tears next week ... on my part ...
- On the very day Grace goes to school, Don has to catch a plane to the Deep South, where he will spend 5 days at some kind of trade show. Or not -- I have no idea what he does half the time. I haven't told Grace that Daddy won't be here to see her off. But then again, many Daddies don't get to see their kids leave for school. This house is going to be verrrrryyyy quiet that day ...
Quite a schedule! But I guess that's kind of what September is all about. Just jump right in the deep end and start swimming ...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Gosh, I completely understand your concerns about Grace's foot. We are right there as well and still have five weeks before we go back. If it were me, I would see what the doctor says first, then if he doesn't see what you see, let him know your fears. But I bet that is what you would do anyways. You have a great eye and fantastic understanding of that little foot. I wish you the best at this appointment and will be watching for the update.
I too did not believe in sending my boys to school at an early age. I wasn't even going to send them to preschool, but needed to in order to help Matthew with his anxiety.
I love having my boys at home and am sad that they are going to be apart and away from me from now until Christmas. It is going to be hard on all of us.
Good luck this week!
Happy birthday and start of school to Aidan, and sending joy-filled thoughts to Grace as she begins this journey. I shared a bit of Lucas's day on on Facebook....am I tempting you to join??? You wouldn't believe who I've reconnected with--but perhaps this is the social animal in me??? :)
Post a Comment