We had our bathing suits on, yes ... but under layers of clothing. The odd thing was how incredibly warm the water felt. If we didn't have the kids to watch, and if the waves weren't so incredibly rough, I probably would have gone in. The kids were entranced, giggling and screaming with delight. Aidan was hilarious, drunk-giddy with excitement, and so much so that he couldn't even keep his bearings. My boy doesn't seem to have his sea legs yet as he tottered with each wave's recession. At one point he lost his balance altogether as a wave toppled him right over. He looked rather stunned, lying on his back in the water, and I saw fear start to creep into his face. But I didn't want my son to be too afraid, so I cheered him on and made light of the situation and his fear melted away.
And then there's Grace, a girl who has no shred of caution in her little body. For the first few minutes she was a bit hesitant, wanting to be held. This was followed by a decisive, "Down, Mommy!" and she put her little feet in the water for the first time. She just stood still and watched for a few moments, and then came that first bubbling squeal -- she was hooked. "Jump, Mommy!" she commanded, as I took her hands and lifted her as a wave tumbled in. "More, Mommy, more!" I was afraid to let her go as the current was extremely strong, but after a short while she didn't want to hold anyone's hand. She's an independent sort of girl. At one point she escaped Don's grasp and ran -- no, sprinted, and this girl is fast, let me tell you -- right into the oncoming waves. If Don didn't run in after her and catch her ... well, I don't know what to think. She's nuts.

Surrounded by little blue lips and chattering teeth, we decided it was time to go. This is where my Pathetic Mother moment comes in. I made sure I packed a complete change of clothes for Grace, plus another jacket, but my poor shivering boy had ... nothing. I don't know what I was thinking. He wore his bathing suit, long-sleeved shirt, and zipper sweatshirt in the car on the way down, and all I had for him to change into was a pair of sweat pants. I guess I thought his shirt would stay fairly dry. DUH. The only alternative was for him to wear an old flannel shirt I brought along and, well, it was huge -- but warm and dry, so I guess that's what mattered.
All in all, it really was a terrific way to spend part of the day, and once again seeing the joy on my kids' faces was great medicine for me. Contentment: that's what I felt today.Tomorrow we're off to New York State to spend a few days with my brother and sister-in-law and their kids who are vacationing up there. Once again rain is in the forecast but hopefully it will hold off. And once again the vacationers are off!



4 comments:
OK, Sue--I totally recognize that shirt. Did you have it in college? And now your SON is wearing it??? Your vacation sounds so peaceful--just right! Enjoy every minute.
Jen - I can't believe you recognized that shirt! Yes, one and the same -- yet now faded and threadbare, a hole on the bottom from Jack the puppy (who is now 8) clinging by his teeth ... Perfectly worn and comfortable, like that proverbial old pair of jeans. It's raggedy but perfect to toss in a beach bag. haha!
Oh, I was going to say the same thing about that shirt! That was Sue's comfort shirt in college. I'm amazed it's still in tact.
Watch out for those crabs! they bite yer toes.
Post a Comment