Tuesday, August 21, 2007

While the cats are away ...

... oh, how the little mice will play! While we cool cats were on the beach, our kids were in the care of a very dear friend of ours, known affectionately as "Miss Pam." Our kids absolutely adore her (as do we!) and we had no trouble leaving them in her more-than-capable hands. After botched directions and a few wrongs turns, Pam finally arrived at our house Friday evening, and the joyful chaos was overwhelming. I'm not sure I remember the last time I've seen my kids so juiced up, if ever. Aidan especially -- she is one of the rocks in his unsteady little life and he was in such an incredible state of happiness. Pam came laden with boxes of various items for the kids, having planned a weekend of fun activities. Here are a few snaps of their own kiddie vacation:

What do you get when you open a whole watermelon and put a spoon in a little girl's hand? Grace was in watermelon nirvana. I wonder if she finally gave up on the spoon ...
... and decided this method was much, much more effective.
Two kids in a bathtub full of bubbles never makes for a boring evening.
Of course, arts and crafts ...
Two very cool bubble makers produced hours of sticky (yet clean) fun. I laughed at Pam's account of Grace trying to figure it out, positing the tool in front of her face rather than pointing outward, and suddenly finding herself in a barrage of bubbles.
There's nothing like winding down to a movie and a tub of popcorn almost as big as yourself.
Practicing the art of making sand castles, in time for another trip to the shore on Wednesday.
Pam took about 200 pictures and I reveled in seeing their little faces, so full of joy -- especially Aidan, who has had so much heartache. And yet when we returned home on Sunday, I can't say that our kids were glad to see us. Aidan knew right away that our arrival meant his beloved friend was going to leave ... and once again he had to say good-bye to someone he loves. My little guy was heart-broken all over again, and when it was time to say good-bye he refused to do it. He cried, he ran into his room. Thankfully Pam understood that he wasn't being a poorly-mannered brat; he couldn't bring himself to say good-bye. Aidan and I sat on the front porch as she drove away, and when her car went out of sight my boy broke down in a way that I haven't seen. He cried such powerful, heart-wrenching sobs, throwing his little body into my arms and onto my lap. He couldn't even speak. For over 10 minutes we sat there, crying together for our loss. I wonder if some of his grief was not only for Miss Pam leaving that day, but for all the other good-byes and losses he's endured and just had to let out. I've never seen a child with such adult sorrow, and it broke my heart.

Our vacation continues, and we are determined to have FUN. Our kids are thrilled that Daddy is home for an entire week, and despite the rain, now on our second day of it, we're having a good time. More vacation posts coming, and great pictures from yesterday's adventure. This afternoon Don is taking Aidan to see Ratatouille, a bonding time for them. I think my adventure today is rather mundane, needing to go to the grocery store, but we'll figure out other fun things to do. More vacation news to come!

No comments: