Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Chatty Cathy

We have a neighbor who, I believe, is medically attached to her cell phone. She lives next door, on the second floor, with another roommate. They have a large deck attached to the back of the house, and one of her favorite activities is sunbathing on the deck ... while talking on the cell phone. I'm frequently out in our yard playing with the kids while she's yakking away, and not just for a few minutes either. The other day I saw her drive away in her car -- while talking on the phone. Yesterday I saw her leaving via the front door, locking it behind her -- while talking on the phone. Recently, while I was out in front watering the plants, I saw her return from ... somewhere ... and she managed to park her car, gather her stuff from the front seat, get out and lock the door -- while talking on the phone. I have never seen anything like it in my life. Thinking back, I do not believe there has been a time when I have seen my neighbor not talking on the phone. **

Her subject matter is also a source of amusement, to some degree. Just like I've never seen her without that extra attachment to her body, I have also never heard a discussion other than guys and bars: what bar she went to (or, rather, bars), what guy she met, her dilemma of prioritizing these picked-up bar guys, and so on. It's really intriguing to me -- perhaps because I was never a bar-hopping kind of chick myself. But honestly, is that all she has to talk about? Guys and bars? I do get a little concerned sometimes, because her mid-afternoon deck conversations aren't always G-rated, and I have two sets of very attentive ears playing mere feet away. But seriously ... is that the average life of a woman in her mid-20's? Wow. Either I'm feeling (and getting) incredibly old or I'm just extremely fortunate that my mid-20's were spent in a very different fashion.

**I almost proved myself wrong. I was just outside in our driveway about 10 minutes ago, with my kids and my parents, admiring their new car (yes, that's right -- they just got a "new-to-them" car, to our great surprise. Lose your hair; get a new car -- not a bad deal!) when Chatty Cathy came out of the house, dragging a suitcase behind her -- without talking on the phone. Dang! I thought. So my theory is incorrect -- she can function without her cell phone. She put her stuff in the car, got in, started it up, and started pulling out of the driveway ... and when I looked up one more time to watch her drive off -- she was on the cell phone! I don't know why but this really cracks me up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

twenty-thirty year old people today are just a product on the tv,mall and moron type society. They have minimal responsibilty and are just imature. They are neither children or adults but pretend adults who are good for only waisting money and possibly never owning a house. I know i used to be one until i grew the heck up. Next time you see one of them feel free to just laugh or throw an egg their way.