Saturday, January 24, 2009

Another Artist in the Making (Or: Didn't Know She Had it in Her)

A few months ago Aidan declared he wanted to be an artist when he grows up. OK -- that's a new one (and a less-profitable one to boot).

I thought Grace would never succumb to the clutches of the creative -- in her mind, yes. Absolutely. Acting, drama, you name it. But artwork? Drawing? Anything with her little hands? Forget it.

In my desperate attempts at times to keep Grace occupied, I offer suggestions: markers? No. Crayons? No. Coloring books? No, no, no.

I feared for her upcoming days in preschool, where coloring is the main chunk of the curriculum. Socialization and coloring. That's preschool in a nutshell. She's got socialization down to a science. But the other ... oh, is it possible for a child to fail preschool?

And then this morning, as kids are prone to do, I was met with a surprise. Grace had pulled out the Magna Doodle, which she rarely touches, and set to work immediately. After a moment or two, she said, "Look, Mommy! It's me!"

Sure enough -- a self-portrait.


Where did this come from? I didn't even know she knew how to hold a writing instrument, let alone use it -- and use it like this! This is pretty darned good for a 3-year-old, I'd say. I remember Aidan's first self-portrait in preschool, at the age of 4, and it didn't look like this at all.

Reminds me a bit of a Shel Silverstein book cover, don't you think?

Makes me wonder what else is lurking around in my little girl ...
I think we have some more surprises coming our way!

No comments: