
I received a few responses about my healthy conundrum -- trying to eat healthy, eat fresh, and keep the cost down. Now, in defense of myself, I do think we're a pretty healthy family. My kids voluntarily ask for fruits and vegetables every day (including prunes, believe it or not), and while their proportionate intake of such items could probably improve a bit (especially with the veggies), I'm just glad they ask and eat. We eat whole grains when we can (but boy, do I love white rice rather than brown!), we try to be fiberlicious ... You won't find a single cookie in our house (just don't look around Christmas time), nor candy, although we do adore our ice cream. I'd say we're really quite balanced. Just don't bring some food expert or nutritionist into my abode, for I fear my view might be promptly dashed.
It's the freshness factor that's tricky. I buy lettuce at the grocery store, fully intending to make a salad ... and then I find that I just don't want to eat lettuce. Period. And soon, I have droopy inedible leaves taking up space in my fridge. I have yet to find - or figure out - this balance.
In response to the recent tip about eating beans ... I find that I keep coming back to this, for I know they're incredibly healthy, yet beans are still foreign territory for me. I didn't grow up in a bean-eating family. They're a good, solid, Dutch, meat-and-potatoes kind of family. Green beans, yes -- anything else, only in the occasional pot of chili. When you don't grow up with something frequently on your menu, it's a little hard to adopt that food category later on in life. I salivate over chili ... but that's about all I have truly mastered with beans. I've been making some extraordinary hummus lately -- Don can't stop vacuuming the bowl clean -- and that's been my first foray into garbanzo beans. But ... what else? I'm bean-illiterate.
Any bean-eaters ... good tips? Ideas? And how in the world would I get my kiddies to eat them?!

5 comments:
Hey, I just sent you a recipe for Cuban black beans and rice... delish. No good answer for getting the children to eat up. And as to the lettuce - switch to spinach - much more versatile (you can use it for salads or cooking - I even make pesto with it in place of basil) and it's a lot better for you. If you keep the bag well sealed in your fridge it will last 10+ days.
Just discovered that Aidan likes refried beans ... it's a start. :)
Don's not a big fan of spinach -- not sure why (I love it). I wonder if I could fool him. Worth a try!
Tonight -- vegetable stifado ...
Sorry...we're not bean-eaters, either. I am sending you a great recipe for vodka sauce, which is my way of offering "stealth vegetables." Liam would stand on his head to get it, and it's got carrots, peppers and tomatoes in it, things he wouldn't eat normally under threat of death.
I doubt I'll remember this weekend, but I should bring my recipe for a black bean tart--luscious, company-worthy beans. Plus, we have a great Cuban black beans recipe from Moosewood, I believe. Love 'em, but the kids are iffy--and so we fall back on meat and potatoes, too.
Meals this weekend (forgive my default here--I have to get to A.I. and I'm too lazy to comment and send an email!)....I believe I will be there for dinner on Saturday. The service is at 2pm; I'll drive right there, and then I'll find you afterward. But, you also needn't plan around me--I can get something en route....plus, you never know how long these services go or what will happen after. Do you just want to presume I'll show up that evening, and not worry about food? Then, breakfast--and I'm still deciding if I'll head home, try to join you for church, etc. I just hope the weather brings this trip about!
I have tons of bean recipes, but I don't think they will sit well with your kids (or your hubbie hehe). They are indian dishes and on the spicier side.
you could check out: http://www.beanbible.com/
Also for something really simple, take the lettuce/spinach, chop it up, add a can of garbanzo beans (washed), pepper, salt, and some balsamic vinnegrate dressing (I love aunt annies brand), chopped boiled potatoes, plus whatever other veggies you like.
Post a Comment