We are an ice-cream-chowing family. Our freezer might be nearly empty at times, but there will always be a tub of ice cream in there. Thankfully our local grocery store throws some good sales each week, which allows our stock to remain replenished (unless Breyers is the sale item of the week -- blech blech. Then I make brownies). You won't find cookies in our house, or chips, or candy of any kind (except around Halloween) -- but you can bet there will be ice cream in the freezer.We're not a vanilla family, either -- nothing plain for us. The chunkier the better. If I can chew on a chunk of chocolate brownie while savoring the creamy goodness, I'm in heaven. The kids have inherited this love, although Aidan much more so than Grace. I must say, too, that I am very frugal about our serving sizes -- tubs are no longer half-gallon-sized, and we must stretch it for as long as possible, now that four of us are partaking. The kids don't know any better and seem quite satisfied with their small portions. It's healthier, too.
Last week I bought one of our favorites -- Turkey Hill Phillies Grand Slam. Aidan loves it because of the Phillies' connection. And we all love it because of the taste. The description is as follows: "Graham flavored ice cream, with Choco-Marshmallow cups and a graham swirl." OK, now I understand that might sound kind of gross, but ooooooooh ... it's not. It's a beige color, like coffee ice cream, and the graham swirl gives it a gritty texture when you hit those pockets of tastiness. So, last night as usual, I began the ritual of scooping it into our cute little ice cream bowls. Grown-up portions for Don and myself, one scoop for Aidan, and about a quarter-scoop for Grace.
I don't know what happened, or where this came from. I guess Grace didn't realize it was dessert time. I brought the bowls into the living room, where play took its momentary break for chow-time, before it resumed once again. Don retrieved his bowl, Aidan greedily grabbed his, and then it was Grace's turn.
I set the bowl down on the end table next to the couch, her usual spot. She took one look at it and burst into loud, dramatic tears and wails. I whirled around, shocked by this highly unusual response. What in the world can be wrong?
"I can't eat this!" she wailed. "This is grown-up food! I ... don't ... eat ... hummus!"
Sure enough, she was spot-on, as usual. It really did look like a bowl full of hummus! However, she would not be moved by my soothing protestations, that this was indeed delicious ice cream and not hummus. She wouldn't budge; she wouldn't believe me. I scooped some up on a spoon, held it to her nose and told her to smell it. She sniffed; she smiled; she giggled.
"Ooooooh," she laughed. "That's not hummus!"
No, it most certainly is not.
So what's in your freezer? Any hummus-flavored ice cream? Are you as adventurous as we are in our selections, or are you a chocolate-and-vanilla partaker? Share your favorites!

1 comment:
I'm aghast! You don't like Breyer's??? That's one of the only brands we buy. Eek! What is coming of this world? :) Now that I've given up sugar, the ice cream lasts a lot longer. Hmmmm....looks like I was the one leading the parade to the freezer each night! Matt eats his ice cream in peace now, while I walk the dog. All are happy and well!
Post a Comment