I will freely admit it -- I am a big kid inside. So much so, that when the weather report called for snow today, I was utterly overcome with giddiness at the prospect of a snow day. Not that it would change my day any -- indeed, it would create more work for me, changing my routine, having another child home, shoveling. But I didn't care -- those old childhood feelings of elation and anticipation came flooding back to me. I love snow ... and I am ecstatic about snow days.
I knew the phone call would come early, and it did. Don jumped out of bed after the first ring, having already started stirring in those minutes before his own alarm would go off at that dark, silent hour. He said hello, listened to the recording, and hung up the phone. "School's canceled," he whispered. I smiled indulgently in the dark as I rolled over, cocooning myself in my warm blankets, savoring the extra time to sleep in. Don's wonderful when it comes to that -- even if the kids get up early, which of course they always do, he lets me sleep in as long as possible until he has to go to work. Oh, how I looked forward to that extra hour of warm, rejuvenating slumber.
Jack, hunkered down by my feet under all of the covers, stirred a bit as I turned over. I tried to ESP my thoughts over to him -- settle down! He did for a little while and I dozed off to sleep once again. I have an hour or so ahead of me ... I was so happy ...
6:15 a.m. Just ten minutes of beautiful rest. I felt Jack stir again. He sat up. Even with ear plugs I heard a muffled sound. I was so tired; what was that sound? I want to sleep, slip back into that cozy dark place. What was that sound? Oh, it stopped. Phew. Slipping, slipping ... oh, there it is again! What is that?
I could feel my blood begin to pump a little harder, Consciousness marching on that blissful Darkness, threatening to overtake it. Annoyance began to take on its form -- why today, of all days, is my dog keeping me awake? I want to sleep! I can sleep today ... what in the world is that noise?
Suddenly Consciousness completely swamped that beautiful Darkness. Realization was immediately on its tail -- that sudden, light-bulb moment.
I know what that sound is.
As soon as those six words formed in my fog-ebbing brain, the Darkness scattered immediately. I sat upright, eyes sans glasses wide -- unseeing in its physicality but possessing crystal clear sight in its Realization.
I know that sound.
Jack is puking in my bed!
In the nearly 10 years of his place in our family, Jack has never done that.
But today, of all days ...
A highly and eagerly anticipated snow day ...
I day I could sleep unhindered, freely ...
You outdid yourself, My Friend Murphy.
This is the worst alarm clock in history.
Please share your worst wake-up calls, so I can feel better about the start to my day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
waking up to a flood in the middle of the morning at 3 o'clock.
I don't think I can top that!!! I'm still laughing...sorry!
Post a Comment