As promised, I have to share this fantastic recipe for Sweet and Sour Peppers, courtesy of our friends at Moosewood. Now, I know I (very willingly) broke the cardinal rule of vegetarianism by adding chicken to the mix, but man, it was gooooood ...SAUCE:
1/4 cup catsup
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup water
1 tbs cornstarch dissolved in 2 tbs water
*********
MAIN INGREDIENTS:
3 tbs vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
2 cups very thinly sliced onions
2 large red bell peppers, cut into thin strips
2 large green bell peppers, cut into thin strips
15 oz. can baby corn, drained
1-1/2 cups raw or roasted cashews, whole or half pieces
*********
Combine the sauce ingredients first in a bowl and set aside. Have all the remaining ingredients at hand before beginning to stir-fry.
In a wok or large skillet, heat the oil.
Add the garlic and onions, and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes.
Add the pepper strips and continue to stir-fry.
Add a couple of tbs. of water if necessary to prevent scorching.
When the peppers and onions begin to soften, add the baby corn and cashews.
Stir-fry for a minute or so, then add the sauce mixture and simmer for another minute.
Remove from heat and serve immediately over rice or noodles.
*********
SOME COMMENTS:
- I broiled a boneless chicken breast and then cut it into bite-sized pieces, adding it at the end and simmering it altogether. It was fabulous with the chicken, and much-needed, in my opinion.
- I cut the peppers into long, thin strips. They were too long to eat easily. Next time I will then cut them all in half as well.
- Don thought it needed more of a kick to it -- it was delicious, but rather mild. Next time, maybe add some red pepper flakes to give it a little burn?
- I skipped the cashews completely -- I don't like nuts, and it tasted just fine.
- I added an extra clove of garlic. We love garlic, and next might I might add 4.
- They say the total time is about 35 minutes. I found it took much longer, especially for the peppers to soften.
- We served over flat egg-noodles and it was a perfect combination.
************
Happy Cooking!

1 comment:
Sounds delicious!
Post a Comment