Saturday, January 24, 2009

Moments with a Senior Citizen

Ah, dear Jack (as my grandmother used to say) ...

Good news to share about our Elder Canine -- he got a completely perfect bill of health. The vet called yesterday with all of the results of his tests from our bank-breaking visit last week, and ever single level is 100% perfection -- heart, liver, blood, toenails, and various other body parts -- perfect. Well, thank goodness for that! Outside of his odd urinary tract infection, which (I hope) is clearing up with these anti-biotics, he's one healthy puppy.

Then she talked to me about Jack's dental visit ... not that we ever agreed to it, but just in case we want to bring him in to get it done in February, which just so happens to be Doggie Dental Month. While I have a hard time passing up on a sale -- 20% off dental work! Cool! -- I had to hold my sticker shock in check when she ran down the estimate for his workup. If he's in good shape, it will cost a mere $538. But if he needs work, extractions, etc. -- well, then we're looking at a price tag of nearly $800.

Well ... that's all I can say about that.

Moving on ... Jack must be feeling better -- he's been so lovable, cute, cuddly, and puppy-like lately. He's getting quite expressive, acting like Movie Dogs do -- communicating in ways he hadn't really done before. He has been very "aggressive" in letting us know he wants to be petted or loved. If I am sitting at the computer, he stands on his hind legs, forelegs on my lap. He then wags his tail quite strenuously, enough to make me give him a sidelong glance. I look into his face, which he contorted into that sweet, heart-melting, Beagle-eyed look: "Don't you want to pet me? Please? You know you do ... how can you resist me?" If I don't respond, he won't take no for an answer. He will then dip his head, nudge my arm with his nose, and then go back to wagging and looking cute. He will then repeat if necessary. If I still don't budge, he will then use more strength to push his entire head under my arm, preventing me from typing, and once again giving me that look. He knows he won.

This week I found him in two priceless positions. The first came during his naptime -- which, really, is any moment of the day. I walked into my bedroom, and saw him cuddled -- not in a mountain of pillows, which he usually creates for himself -- but right smack in the middle of Grace's diaper changing pad.


Then later on, this was a winner. The kids had been reading their Bibles -- they have several, and often like to pull them all out, comparing the different stories in each one. Two of the Bibles had been left on the chair, as were Grace's pajamas. Jack loves to curl up whenever there is a blanket, shirt, socks, anything that's left on a couch or chair, so it made sense for him to gravitate toward the discarded pajamas. But him checking out the Bibles was new -- and pretty funny.


What a great dog.

No comments: