Happy New Year!
It's funny how there's a part of us that, no matter how old or how cynical or how realistic we've become, we still feel that when we wake up on New Year's Day, something would -- or should -- feel different. It's a new year -- that means something. Right?
Well ... not really.
We had a really nice evening last night, starting with the fact that the kids passed out as soon as they went to bed. Not a peep. We commenced cooking as soon as their light went out, with Don at his meat station and I handling the roasted oven fries and asparagus. We decided to simply enjoy steamed asparagus, minus the orange hollandaise, because ... well, it was 8:00 p.m. and I was tired, able to handle only so much cooking. We set up a very un-romantic card table in the living room and while we relished every bite of our phenomenal meal we watched a few downloads of "Cities of the Underworld" from the History channel. Oh, you are so not surprised by that, are you ...
I haven't stayed up to "ring in the New Year" in several years. There was just no point, really, with sleep being my Number One priority. But this year, with our late dinner, and our delectable hot chocolate fondant at 11:00 p.m. I figured I could handle one more hour, tune in to Dick Clark's Rockin' New Year's Eve, acknowledge the fact that our year is over and succumbing to that crazy little feeling that yes, things do feel a little different ... don't they? One hour. I can make it.
I couldn't.
I was out at 11:30 p.m.
Suddenly, something woke me up. I heard screaming, yelling. In my sleep-stupor I mumbled, "Is that Aidan? What's he yelling about? Did he lose his car again?"
I heard Don laugh somewhere. "No, Aidan's asleep. It's our neighbors. It's midnight. Happy New Year."
Oh. I mumbled some more. I think I said "Happy New Year" back to him. The curtains once again snapped shut. The moment was over.
My alarm clock sounded at 8:00 a.m. -- a late morning for me. And the clock? That would be Aidan, in the midst of some kind of screaming, sobbing episode ... something about a yogurt drink ... What a way to wake up. What a way to start the New Year.
So no ... nothing feels different.
It's January 1, 2008.
Not so different than my day yesterday, really.
We just finished a delicious brunch of eggs, taylor ham, fabulous home fries, and wheat toast. We are just about ready to take a long afternoon nap, and then later head out to dinner at the home of some friends. It's a good day so far. And then there's tomorrow.
So, my friends, it's a new day. Blessings to you on this day, whatever it holds for you. Sleep beckons me now ... some things don't change ...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment