There's something in the water here. I've been under the weather, my kids are seemingly persistent in the illness department ... and now something is wrong with my dog. He was fine yesterday (oh, how many times have I said that?!), but then after dinner things went downhill. He sat cuddled on the chair, having made a little doggie-nest out of a blanket, and stayed put for quite some time. After the kids went to bed, Don and I settled down on the couch to watch Troy (Brad Pitt as Achilles? Nope. Sorry -- didn't work. There are just some roles certain actors should avoid. Although I must say he is quite the specimen ...) and there was Jack, lying in a corner. Very strange. Don coaxed him to join us on the couch, but clearly something was wrong. He struggled to stand up, his back end not cooperating. He slowly walked over to the couch, but instead of gracefully leaping to his seat of comfort, he just stood there, head and tail down. Very, very strange. Don picked him up, received a lick of gratitude, and Jack curled next to him, shaking like a leaf.This odd behavior is still going on this morning. We called a local Animal ER, and the attendant said to try to entice him to eat (something he was not doing, which is beyond strange for a beagle). If he turned away from food and water, then bring him in immediately. I enlisted the aid of my kids to help our friend -- I picked him up from his couch-nest and put him on the floor, while Aidan carried in the food and water bowl. We stuck a little treat in the food too as extra incentive. Jack did perk up a bit, ate the treat and the food, and took a sip of water. Phew. ER averted for today. But I'll have to call the vet tomorrow if this continues.
There's something in the water here, it seems ...
**********************************************

Aidan's never been particularly attached to Jack -- not like the Boy-And-His-Dog scene we always imagined the relationship would be. Travis had his Old Yeller; Timmy had his Lassie; Norman Rockwell's Boy had his Dog. But Aidan ... well, it's not that he doesn't like Jack; he's just completely indifferent. But this morning was sweet, as Aidan brought in the food and water, sat down next to him, gently stroked his head. I suggested that since he's doing such a great, caring job he could be an animal doctor when he grew up.
"Oh ... no thank you," he responded. "I just want to be a Super Hero."
Even animals need a Super Hero, my boy.

No comments:
Post a Comment